1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kenya...

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by michellezim, Jan 13, 2020.

1. michellezim

michellezim New commenter

Afternoon all, I've scrolled through past posts about living and working in Kenya but wondered if anyone who is CURRENTLY or has RECENTLY worked in Kenya could shed some light on what it's like at the moment? I"m particularly interested in the school outside of Nairobi that goes by the name of a Scottish Saint.The move would entail both my partner and myself getting teaching jobs at the school and our 2 children (aged 8 and 10) moving with us. I'm not overly worried about the safety element as I grew up in Africa (elsewhere) myself but more about whether the education would be good for our kids/ what life is like out there from a social perspective/ pay? Thanks so much for any info :)

2. 576

576 Established commenter

I've Pm'd you.

3. 1lessonatatime

1lessonatatime New commenter

I moved here with young family last year. Best thing we have ever done. We love it! Work life balance compared to the uk is so much better. Took a pay cut to come here but have more money in the bank at the end of the month.

Our kids have settled in very well, making friends and having amazing new experiences.

michellezim and 576 like this.
  4. michellezim

michellezim New commenter

Hi 1lessonatatime, thanks for your reply. If you had a moment to tell me more, I'd b hugely appreciative. How old are your kids? Did you find the logistics a nightmare? Any other advice?? Thanks

5. 1lessonatatime

1lessonatatime New commenter

Hi,

Sorry I have only just seen this post - are you still interested in some more info?

6. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

Hi,

Could you please give me some insight into the pay in Kenya and the attractions for children.

many thanks
    A

7. lisacurley1986

lisacurley1986 New commenter

Please send me a PM, I can provide you with this information.

8. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

hello

Thank you for replying, I don't know how to send a PM, please could you start a private conversation with me.

Thanks,
    A

9. lisacurley1986

lisacurley1986 New commenter

Hi,

I did not know either, so I contacted TES and apparently you cannot do it. If you let me know what you would like to know, I can do my best to give you an overview of what its like to live there, cost of living, salaries, schools (without mentioning names) etc. I was there fore 6 years, it is a greta country but there are things to consider based on if you have a family, location of school, cost of living etc.