1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kenya

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by glenncraneuk, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hello,

Me and my wife are thinking about moving from our jobs in South America, to a job in Kenya.

We are applying to two different schools at the moment, one which rhymes with 'Pony louse' and another 'Tray Burn'. Does anyone have any info about those schools?

What the salary is like? What the living expenses are like? Positives or negatives of the Nairobi.

I lived there for 3 years as a kid so know a bit about it, and a little bit of swahili.

So any more info would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks

G

2. Hello,

Me and my wife are thinking about moving from our jobs in South America, to a job in Kenya.

We are applying to two different schools at the moment, one which rhymes with 'Pony louse' and another 'Tray Burn'. Does anyone have any info about those schools?

What the salary is like? What the living expenses are like? Positives or negatives of the Nairobi.

I lived there for 3 years as a kid so know a bit about it, and a little bit of swahili.

So any more info would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks

G

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Being a hippopotamus, I rather enjoyed my two years in Kenya. You can read more about my misadventures, and those of Mrs Hippo, if you dig around in the TES archives.

4. Hippos are dangerous creatures though :)

Do you know anything about those schools, or potential salaries we can look forward to?

I just have heard a few stories of other BAD schools in kenya (Paying late etc)

5. the hippo

This pachyderm was teaching at a school that makes you think of sticking plasters. (It's next door to Nairobi National Park.)
    As for salaries, I was always paid on time. The really bad news was the Kenya shilling, a pathetic excuse for a national currency. If you are going to be paid all or most of your salary in shillingi, then you could have a problem. Also shifting your cash from Kenya to the UK is not always as easy as one would wish it to be and that could be a headache if you have a mortgage back home. On the whole, salaries in Kenya are significantly less than what you would get in the Middle East and the cost of living is fairly high. Of course the wonderful weather, the fantastic scenery and the opportunity to travel around an amazing country all go a long way towards compensating you for the lowish salary.
    I am now quite an old hippopotamus and so my advice may well have passed its sell-by date.

6. Your advice is always great and well recieved by this slightly younger teacher.

We don't have a mortgage back home, as we have been living abroad.
    Salary is not the most important. Where we are we barely get paid anything(But have on campus accom) but manage to live on a low budget (About 10k a year, and we each manage to save about 4k) but we are in Paraguay one of the least expensive of the South American countries.

When you say low, do you have an idea on price? If we are both working there we ideally want to try and save most of one of our salaries. At least 10k a year if we can. Is that possible?

7. juakali

juakali New commenter

Apart from a few months last year the Kenya Shilling is pretty stable (around 120/GBP). Salaries are around 1/2 to 2/3 of what you might get in UK. Most packages include flights and medical insurance. Some schools pay more but don't offer accommodation so ask about that. Transferring money to UK is easy- I went in to my bank and asked them send a fixed amount each month. They have done so without fail for 6 years now, and send me an email each time. I have a mortgage in UK, 5 kids, a teaching wife and a great standard of living.
    The 'Tray' school you mentioned has a number of sites, within Nairobi and around the country so ask which campus the job is in. The other one has a senior and prep school in different locations so again, ask where you are going to be.They are both OK. The school that had the reputation of late pay has been bought out and is improving I understand.
    BTW the language is Kiswahili

8. the hippo

Asanti sana, juakali. You are probably much more up-to-date with your information than this wrinkled old pachyderm. It is quite a while ago that Mrs Hippo and I were at the B**** for a very happy two years. I remember writing my end-of-term reports by the light of a paraffin lamp and, in the distance, I could hear the sound of the hyenas in Nairobi National Park.

9. I miss the sounds of Nairobi! Although it was long ago i was there.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Juakali, since you are there now, how much do you think a teaching couple could approx save a month? If we live a modest lifestyle which we do now (No partying, eating out 2-3 times a months etc)

Thanks for the advice about the schools. We would be in the garden with one of them, and the other i am not 100% sure about but i am pretty sure its primary.

How is the bug situation where you are? Here in Paraguay we have mosquitos with Dengue so have to pretty careful, i guess it is still the same with Malaria over in Kenya?

Any other advice you could give?

Thanks again :)

10. juakali

juakali New commenter

The garden one is a little out of town but quite near Muthaiga. It is impossible for me to suggest how much you could save. It depends on whether the package includes house, flights medical etc
    The prep one closer in but I am pretty sure they do not offer accommodation.
    There are mosquitos in Nairobi but no malaria. We have nets but just to stop the buzzing and biting. Malaris is said to be almost wiped out even at the coast, particularly the places you are likely to visit at least.

11. One of the packages includes all of the above, annual flight, housing, medical.

The other just flight and medical, but will find a house for us (Which we have to pay for)

Glad to hear the news about malaria, sure that has saved thousands of lives, and annoyances.

Any more advice you could give on Kenya?

12. juakali

juakali New commenter

To be fair, I would take the one with the full package and see how you like it. To rent your own place comes with other things like water bills, electricity bills, security, traffic, fuel, time etc. For a newbie you could probably do without the hassle.

13. the other school says it offers an interest free loan of up to 600 000shillings for the purchase of a 4x4 vehicle, accomodation, flights and medical insurance.

I think I would like that one.

I have also applied for both schools in Kenya.