1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Kenya/Tanzania

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aimeesadenia, Feb 3, 2016.

1. aimeesadenia

aimeesadenia New commenter

Can anyone help?

I have had a job interview for a job in Ashuru Tanzania and I have two next week - one in Nairobi and one in Mombasa.
    My initial excitement has been replaced by absolute fear! Although not one to usually listen to internet reviews, I have read some absolutely scathing things about the schools and am now terrified.

My current job is pretty peachy at present (for an English school), but have always dreamed of living in Africa and thought this would be an exciting thing....now not so sure! And am I being silly giving up a relatively nice job to go and work in an African international school?

Likewise people seem to suggest that the workload is excessive....I'm trying to get away from that!

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful!!

Thanks
    :)

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Hi! Well done on getting three interviews, you must be thrilled! I lived in Kenya up until recently and am happy to discuss the pros and cons via "conversation". I'll send you a message now - you'll find it by clicking on your green circle (or avatar) in the top right corner of the screen. Kenya is amazing and frustrating all at the same time but I wouldn't change my experiences there for the world :)

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It is more than a few years ago, when I was a much younger hippopotamus, that Mrs H and I spent two amazing years in Kenya. Yes, it is not the safest of places and the money was pretty awful. So what? It was great and we will treasure the memories for the rest of our lives.

aimeesadenia likes this.
  4. DarthVader1234

DarthVader1234 New commenter

Have sent you a PM aimeesadenia.

5. ceviche

ceviche New commenter

See my post in the other thread about Arusha, and you can PM me as well if you want.

6. gaganija

gaganija New commenter

could anyone please send me any details about a well know prep school there? Life as a single mum - is it safe?

7. KolleyKibber

KolleyKibber New commenter

I'm currently in Arusha, Tanzania though I am leaving after four years. I have loved every minute of it, there's loads going on and the weather is fantastic. I've always found the place safe and friendly, though there are certain areas you wouldn't go to at night. I could say the same about my hometown of Hartlepool! Which school is the interview for? Dead President or the apple? If you want any more information, feel free to PM me.

8. chris_wood

chris_wood New commenter

Anyone know about the school on the outskirts of Nairobi. Boarding and not too far from a shopping mall: looks like a castle??? Any idea of salary???