1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Jordan

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by celticreature, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Anyone...please??

2. Hi,
    I just tried to reply but forgot to post my message. Doh. Anyhow, I spent around 4-5 months teaching in Amman at a well known school. I didn't last very long, perhaps because my expectations were unreasonable.
    I have very fond memories of Jordan. You mentioned that your husband is Palestinian, so is most of Amman and this is reflected heavily in the local culture. I found the locals to be friendly overall and made some good friends.
    As for cars, they are very expensive. An old Daewoo could set you back around £6,000. One of the locals tried to explain the very complicated taxation on imports but alas I was none the wiser. I used to rent a car at the weekend to get around and otherwise depended on taxi drivers. Taxi's were quite frequent except in Ramadhan.
    Speaking of family, I went with a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. The kids were quite resilient and settled in well. Amman is child friendly and I recommend visiting the Children's Museum.
    Any other questions, you can message me.
    DD

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well I haven't worked in Amman but have visited there frequently. I am friends with a few students I taught at an EFL school in Eastbourne and some old friends of my husbands live there, also Palestinian.
    I'm happy to put you in contact with my friends so you can ask them questions.

4. Hi Lapinrose,
    That would be really great thanks, my email is celticreature@hotmail.com if you could give me the contact details. By the way was it you who messaged me on the ISR forum?
    Appreciate your replies.
    Anyone else??

5. Hi DD,
    Thanks for the information. Perhaps you could pm me at celticreature@hotmail.com and let me know what the school was in case it is the same one and the probs you faced there or tell me your email and I will let you know the school I am considering.
    Its such a huge move for us really want to go in with eyes open. It looks like cars are out but we could perhaps like you rent at the weekend.
    Thanks for the reply.

6. Celtic creature did you make the move?

Hi, I have an interview for a school in Amman next week and although I am told other employees have dogs at the school, my research has not been in favour of dogs in Jordan. I found a Facebook group of animal lovers in Jordan who say that 'pet theft' is rife and walking your dog can be an uncomfortable experience amongst locals. Jordan sounds an amazing place to live and work but I will not jeordiize the safety of my dog. I am keen to hear others thought s and more about teaching in Amman.

7. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

Hi,

I looking for some advice about living and working in Jordan (Amman), I have an interview on Thursday and only found out today, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

PM if you don't want post on here.

Thanks

8. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I worked at a well known school in Jordan for 2 years, but that was a while ago - 1998 -2000.
    It was an interesting time but also a difficult one in many ways. I would describe it as character building!
    Jordan is a fascinating place to live, much history and the weather is bearable.
    Funnily one of my coldest ever winters was spent in Jordan, we there was snow knee deep and I rain out of oil for the heating and the oil truck couldn't get up the hill in the snow! I wasn't expecting that in the Middle East!

9. kesie

kesie New commenter

PM me if you want any more information. I have lived and worked in Amman for a considerable period of time and consider myself to be reasonably knowledgeable about the country and the schools.