1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Jersey

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JoeKeenan1974, Jul 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JoeKeenan1974

JoeKeenan1974 New commenter

Hi, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

1. What's it like to work in secondary in Jersey?
    2. How do people cope with the high cost of housing? Where do teachers live?!
    3. How are monthly outgoings? Is after tax salary higher? What about the parish rates? I can't find any information on what they are

I just want to know if it's viable. I'll be with my spouse and two primary aged children. Any thoughts hugely appreciated. Thank you.

2. ggm78

ggm78 New commenter

I'm from Jersey but work in London. Lovely place to live and work but expect at least similar prices to London for rent. Tax however is less.
    The most you would pay is 20 percent but likely less. Cost of living used to be cheaper for lots of items but not really anymore. Expect to pay more for most things e.g m and s food is higher because of the import costs. Some things will still be a bit less like petrol. Schools are all pretty good and your commute will never be more than 20 mins!

JoeKeenan1974 likes this.
  3. ggm78

ggm78 New commenter

I should add I can't afford to move back unless I wanted to downsize to 2/3 bed semi. I'm quite high on the leadership scale as well

JoeKeenan1974 likes this.
  4. JoeKeenan1974

JoeKeenan1974 New commenter

Thank you so much, hugely appreciated. Do teaching jobs usually come with licenced status? I suppose that buying property is out of the question?

5. ggm78

ggm78 New commenter

Yes they can a sponsor you (although some require 5 years residency) . I'm not sure what the new rules are on buying, it used to be 20 years living there but think it went down to 10. Expect to pay 2k a month for a half decent 2 bedroom flat. You'll be looking at 3500-4k for any sort of house with a garden and 3/4 beds You'll pay way less tax but unless you can afford 700-800k for a 3 bed semi I'm not sure what's that attractive. You will absolutely need to both work full time unless your earning 115k plus (prob more).

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Although not the same place, my cousin and wife work in Guernsey. They absolutely love it there. Rental is very expensive, but they have now bought their own place after X number of years there. They have said that, after another X years, they can become permanent residents.
    Houses are sold according to a system whereby some are sold at a lower price to 'normal' people on the understanding that the 'millionaires'' price is unreachable.
    I don't remember the specifics as I have had a few sleeps since I last spoke to them about this.
    I would imagine that Jersey is similar, but I am sure that somebody here might be able to help you.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

By the way, if your name is Joe Keenan and you were born in 1974, you might want to change your screen name. Most (if not all) people have a pseudonym on here, so that they can post how and when they want without being 'traced'.
    You might want to put the same thread on the 'Personal' page as this covers all sorts of things.

8. 4019775

4019775 New commenter

Didn't help poor Dumbells.

He has done a runner since his school was identified.