1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Japan!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cupasoup28, Jan 7, 2018.

1. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

Hi!! Has anyone had any experience in teaching in Tokyo? What is the education system like in British Schools? What is the work life balance like? I imagine it will be full of students who are willing to learn and see education as important. What is the standard of education like there? Any help/advice or experiences would be really helpful!! Thanks!!

2. storm in a tea cup

storm in a tea cup New commenter

I can give you some info but will need to be private message. Let me know if interested.

3. honestandy

honestandy New commenter

Hi storm in a tea cup

could you send me some info also please...

4. cupasoup28

cupasoup28 New commenter

That would be great if you could give me some information!! Thanks very much!

5. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Me too please!! How did you secure your job in Japan?

6. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

It's my life's dream to work in Japan. I'm gaining experience in my first international position for a few years after 12 years as HOD in U.K. I've visited Japan many, many times and would love to know how to sell myself to appeal to Japanese international school to get my second position there. Any advice would be very gratefully recieved. I'm on Search, COIS, on TES jobs update. Many thanks M

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Just google "international schools in Japan" and apply directly to the schools you like via their websites....there is no great mystery to applying for jobs anywhere.

8. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

@dumbbells66 Hi Dumbells56, it's not where or how to apply for a job in Japan, I agree, that's very easy, it's the how to get the job and what are they looking for in a good candidate, that is the issue!

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

ahhhh...that makes more sense now

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Most of the better schools seem to be IB or American based. Anything you can do to get some experience and/or training with those programs would likely increase your chances.

The British school near Tokyo is by most reports a good school with nice facilities (if a little on the small side). I have visited the campus and knew a few teachers a fair amount of years back and they seemed happy (although we didn't really get into a lot of details about it).

Japan is definitely amazing! We love it here and have no plans of leaving anytime soon (and we came here from a very nice region in Germany!).

11. marilyn2

marilyn2 New commenter

Hi @wrldtrvlr123
    Thanks for the advice. I'd love a chance to teach in the British school in Tokyo but vacancies in my subject there are never seem to come up. I've already done a (rather costly) IB MYP course. Wondering if there was anything American based I need to know about or courses you could recommend.

Thanks again!
    M

12. storm in a tea cup

storm in a tea cup New commenter

Ok some basic information which might help. Japan is a very unique place and does take some getting used to. Not many people speak English. However, due to the impending olympics there has been a mandate from the government to improve English teaching across the board in local and national schools. There are loads of international schools but most are IB and US curriculum based. There are only 2 British international schools in Japan, which are the ones currently advertising, both with great reputations. Cost of living is expensive in Japan with roughly 150 yen to sterling e.g satsumas cost ¥498, grapes ¥598. Accommodation is small in Tokyo and be prepared to live some distance from schools. BST is a split campus with half the school situated in a large complex shared with other schools and the other half situated in another area in Shibuya. I have friends who work in both British international schools currently advertising. The other is situated in Kobe which is just outside of Osaka. Small one form primary school. When comparing both for me...kobe is the place I would live...more cosmopolitan and not so mad as Tokyo, plus the school is a good place so my friends tell me. Hope this helps.