1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Italy - Florence

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by worlo24, Jun 1, 2020.

1. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

Hi all,

We are thinking about moving to Italy to teach. My partner and I are both primary teachers so would both be looking for jobs. We have seen a job advertised at a school in Florence so if anyone has got any information about Florence, the school, cost of living etc that would be much appreciated.

I know Europe tends to not pay as much, it would be more of a lifestyle move if I am honest, but is it reasonable to expect around or more than 2000 euros per month as a salary? We have a young child so if anyone has information about childcare (she will be 2 when/if we move) again I would appreciate any information.

Thanks in advance :)

2. 24hours

24hours New commenter

It’ll be tight for you. International schools in Italy aren’t much to write home about. We put our daughter into a private Italian nursery when we were there and paid €400 euros per month.

food is more expensive
    Utilities are more expensive

primary school teachers are ten a penny so You’ll be lucky to take home 2k a month. At the school I worked at they were getting around 28k per year before tax.

italy is nice but if you have a choice I Would advise making sure you’re financially secure before heading to Europe

be prepared to put your child into a state school or pay a portion of school fees if you intend to stay long term.

worlo24 likes this.
  3. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

When in Florence for a few days last year I noticed that everywhere we looked were tiny cars. I asked the hotel receptionist and she explained that apart from parking being an issue, the cost of petrol is prohibitively high so those with a car get the most economical one they can, generally speaking.

Unlike Dubai, where petrol is 40p a litre and gas guzzlers seem to be the norm!

4. worlo24

Thank you for the feedback so far. We would definitely need to clear 2k each after tax to be able to make it work for us so might need to look at the drawing board again. We have previously taught in Asia and wanted to be closer to home now we have a young one. On some school posts, they mention not paying tax for a year if you are coming from the UK. Is this the case?

5. grandslam2005

grandslam2005 New commenter

There used to be a 2 year rule of tax free status. However, I am not sure if this is the case now. Also, another thing to consider regarding this maybe the whole BREXIT issue, and what impact that may have on the tax status in future. It may no impact but there could be other issues linked in as well to consider such as ease of employment for British citizens post EU membership.

I left Italy in 2008, so things will most probably be very different. Salaries are not great, and I would agree with a previous poster, that some financial stability and savings would definitely help, as it will be tight. Utilities were high in comparison to other countries when I lived there, so that is something to consider.

As for net salary, you may get around 2000 euros, but it will depend on the school and location.

worlo24 likes this.
  6. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Yes, fuel is similar to the UK price. You also have the added cost of road tolls if you travel on major motorways. People generally have small cars which enable them to swerve in between the potholes or large 4x4 vehicles that let them go through them.

With regards to tax, I am led to believe this is a 'posted worker' scheme that operates within the EU. You should, in theory at least pay the tax in the UK for those two years. If schools are offering it then consider the implications.

Italy is a lovely country but working at a private school you are insulated from the financial woes of the general population. Things are only going to get tougher here for the low paid (and I include teachers in that statement) when Italy id forced to repay the covid-19 loans and/or make changes to their government spending habits due to demands from the EU.

We'll come back, but probably when we don't have a mortgage or children to worry about.

worlo24 likes this.
  7. worlo24

Thank you everyone for your insights - definitely lots to think about.