1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Ireland

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by letap, Aug 9, 2019.

1. letap

letap Occasional commenter

There does not seem to be much on the internet with regards to the teaching experience in the republic. I did discover that it is real pain in the backside to register as a teacher with the Irish teaching council - especially if you graduated from university a number of years ago. The salary scales for the republic seem to be very reasonable - however, the different types of contract that I saw for jobs advertised seemed a little concerning. It appears that a lot of younger Irish teachers go abroad to teach. Other than these simplistic conclusion drawn from a quick internet search I would be grateful for any experience relating to teaching in the Republic.

2. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

I don’t know about teacher pay, but it’s expensive to live in Ireland - probably a reason for young teachers leaving.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Primary or secondary. Do you have QTS and have you completed your induction year as these are requirements for registering. If primary you will have to have studied the Irish Language.

4. 2mature

2mature New commenter

In Ireland a lot of teachers are hired on reduced hours. It takes two full years to get an offer of CID, like permanency, and there is a lot of competition for jobs unless you have Science, Maths or Irish as subjects. Theyre are very specific differences in qualifications between primary and secondary and you cannot teach primary without an Irsih language aspect to your qualification. Hope this helps

5. letap

letap Occasional commenter

In answer to Wotton's post
    I presently work in the secondary sector teaching Physics - although I am well qualified to teach Biology and Chemistry. I have been qualified for over twenty years.

6. demure

demure New commenter

Apply directly to the teaching council in order to have your undergraduate qualification and any further qualifications assessed and see if it matches their criteria. You may be lucky and someone else with the same qualifications will have got it assessed or not. Once they assess it and say that you are qualified and have a teaching council number can you apply for jobs. You cannot get paid as a teacher in Ireland unless you have a teaching council number.