1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in international schools

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rridley, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm starting to look at international posts and was wondering if you have any advice for me... I have 3 years experience but have a daughter and non- teaching husband who I will be supprting( we can afford to do so currently). Do you think I will struggle with finding work? Any advice welcome thanks!

2. Is it possible to complete NQT year in an international school as at the moment I really am willing to
    leave this country and have a complete change of environment

3. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have sent PMs to you, rridley, and to you, vickyc123.
    Of course international schools usually prefer to hire well-qualified and experienced staff, just like many schools in the UK. However, we do not live in an ideal world and therefore the principals of quite a few international schools will consider giving teaching jobs to NQTs. It has to be said that sometimes the international schools that do offer jobs to NQTs are not quite in the first division and some of them are really pretty naff. On the other hand, there are plenty of teachers in the UK who are finding that unemployment is not exactly an enjoyable experience. A job at a second-rate international school might be a good stepping-stone to something better in two or three years' time.
    Yes, it has to be said that there might be some problems if you were to return to the UK, in three or four years' time, not having completed your probationary year in a school in the UK. Well, perhaps you should worry about crossing that particular bridge if and when you come to it.
    If you bother to read some of the posts on this forum, it is clear that there are plenty of NQTs in Britain who find that their probationary year is pretty tough going, with unhelpful SMTs, apathetic colleagues, OFSTED, rude and lazy students, and unco-operative parents. (That is, of course, if they are lucky enough to have a job at all!) As for me, I have an apartment with the rent and the utilities paid for by the school, a tax-free salary and a delightful class of children who all go home at 1p.m. Oh, and did I mention that petrol here in Doha costs about 20p a litre?