1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Indonesia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kerenhapukh123, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Hello, I would like to share about teaching jobs in Indonesia. Indonesia is a quite big country that still needs qualified English Teachers. Now is getting harder to find qualified foreign teachers here, especially to teach English, Math and Science.

International schools are growing here, but the qualified teachers are limited. Requirement to teach here is Bachelor Degree, actually many people not from Teaching degree could get the teaching job here. It would be perfect if you have teaching degree.

If you want to know about teaching in Indonesia, you could reply this thread, and I will explain the detail. Thank you

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im pretty sure you need a matching degree to your subject to teach there, so its not as easy as you seem to be making it out to be. And also tge massive amount of international news coverage that happened over those false allogations of that Candian teacher are not going to help. I know of a lot of people that have actively avoided applying there just for this reason alone.

3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Yes, it put a massive red flag over the whole country.

What happened at the Spanish without arms more academy didn't help either.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Also visas start to become problematic above 50, there are restrictions in place once you reach that age - or so I hear.

5. mattieg22081

mattieg22081 New commenter

The whole allegation at the international School In Jakarta has put paid to any teacher who is working with a degree only being able to get a work permit in Indonesia. Degree in subject area PLUS teaching qualification is the basic pre requisite to getting a job in Indonesia - legally the degree is required only, but schools are not willing to take the risk without a proper teaching qualification any more, and such is now the defacto rule to get a job in Indonesia. The only company I've heard that will accept the degree in subject area only is English First, but I wouldn't want to be quoted on that.

6. edmundstavros

edmundstavros New commenter

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but just wondered if anybody could tell me of other countries where you need a degree in your subject?

My degree was Politics, which has a large amount of History (and I did history A Level) - so it was good enough to be accepted on a History PGCE.

I have seen on here that the UAE and maybe some other countries in the Middle East have this requirement. And now Indonesia. Are there others?

Thanks!

7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

My wife is Indonesian and one of her cousins teaches English at a well known chain. He said they dont employ foreigners anymore. Too hard!

There dont seem to be many International schools either. Jakarta is a hell hole of traffic and food poisoning (made me sick everytime I go there).

And what happened at a certain school in Jakarta.... the polis are real gangsta boys in Indonesia. I wouldnt work in Indonesia and its my new home!

8. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Jakarta's a cracking night out, though. Went there for a friend's wedding and thought Kamang was great.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  9. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se New commenter

Dubai, I believe. Or UAE. Might be wrong.

10. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy New commenter

I would like to consider Indonesia. However, the injustice of the teacher, TA and cleaners being jailed for many years now in Jakarta, on obviously trumped-up charges, means no one can have trust in the local legal system.

11. ed717

ed717 New commenter

Any demand for French and German teachers?

12. 1stSgtWelsh

1stSgtWelsh New commenter

Also I've heard you need something like five years' post-certification experience to work in an international school in Indonesia. Apparently, that's a visa requirement. Maybe that's changed, or I might be talking through my hat. However, that's just what I've heard. Never been there, but, I doubt I'd fancy Jakarta. I've heard the traffic and pollution are just horrendous. A decent gig in Bali, on the other hand, yeah, in a heartbeat :cool:.

13. gremlin86

gremlin86 New commenter

Does anyone know anything about CCS Bali? PM me, please. Thanks :)

14. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

What no picture SPC2? Or was it that good!!!

15. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

Yes, I am that woefully predictable...