1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching in guernsey

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ethnic, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hi I am thinkihing about applying for a job in Guernsey.Can anyone tell me something about the lifestyle, schools, salary etc. the advert says that accomodation will be offered with a rental allowance. is this good? The salary looks good - £42k + upper pay scale. also the contract is for 5 years. does this mean after that time your kicked out from the island? I have been teaching nearly 20 years.Would this be comiiting suicide in terms of my career? Any advice welcome.

Thanks in advance

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Is that in Asia or Africa? I'm sure it isn't the Guernsey in ME you'r referring to.
    To be fair, it isn't strictly in the UK.

3. Channel Islands

4. Hi. I worked in Guernsey for 3 years and although I enjoyed my time there, there are a number of things that you need to think about, mainly because Guernsey is not UK or EU and reciprocal arrangements between UK and Guernsey change all the time e.g you may need to think about health insurance:
    pension - you will be asked if you would like to transfer your UK pension into the Guernsey system. Talk to a pension advisor about this.
    driving licence: you are meant to change this for a Guernsey one within the first year or you may have to re-take your driving test. NB, the Guernsey licence is not an EU licence
    teaching unions - conditions of service are different, Guernsey does not recognise all the agreements that are in place in the UK
    travel insurance - if you take this out, do this locally (Rossborough is very helpful)
    Guernsey is expensive - utilities and accomodation/property is not cheap. We were paying £1500 a month for a 2 bed town house in St Peter Port, we left 2 years ago. We were lucky as we had a garage - parking in urban areas is a problem
    I had rent allowance for 2 years and was lucky that my landlord did not put the rent up for the whole time that we were there - the allowance makes a big difference and I noticed it when it had gone
    When your 5 years is up, you will have to leave, even if you have bought property on the island, you will not be allowede to live in it, yes, even if you own it. You may be offered an extension licence, but this is likely to be only for 2 years max.
    Going anywhere, Europe/worldwide generally means travelling via the UK, although there are ferries to France. This does add to your travel bill
    Unless they have recently introduced goods and services tax, internet shopping from the UK is VAT free
    Not heard anything bad about LC, by all accounts a good place to work
    The islands are very beautiful, but they are small and even the locals get island fever. I have focused on the negative here, but they are things that you need to think about. We have some great friends that we still see and enjoyed the experience of small island living, but for us, 3 years was enough. We know a lot of people who do not want to leave.
    Good luck with the application.

5. Hi Calle

This is useful to know. Did you managed to find a job when you left? Is it more difficult to find a job when you leave. Sounds rather harsh when they kick you out after 5 years. This is not a rolling contract then like overseas teaching?
    They are offering rental allowance so sounds reasonable. As I am not employed at the moment. This may be my only option. May I PM you?

6. Hi, we spent just 12 months in Guernsey. as with everywhere, it has it's good and it's bad points, but I would recommend you take ino account what is important for you (&your family), eg social life, variety etc. Guernsey is a little bit like Marmite....
    If you have any specific questions, send me a PM. By the way, what shool is it?

7. In 1996, when I appled for a job in a Guernsey state school, I was told the pension was intercgangeable and transferable with UK teachers' pension scheme.
    When I contacted the UK Teachers' pension scheme this turned out to be true for Jersey but not Guernsey.
    It is an extremely isolated place. And not cheap.