1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Guatemala City

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Lalad, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Is there anyone with any experience of / advice regarding teaching in Guatemala city? My daughter has just accepted a job there for 6 months.

2. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Is there anyone with any experience of / advice regarding teaching in Guatemala city? My daughter has just accepted a job there for 6 months.

3. tica

tica New commenter

I hate to put anyone off Latin America, but I would advise avoiding Guatemala City. It never was a place for the faint-hearted but by the most recent reports it sounds totally lawless. I wouldn't want my daughter to go there at the present time. Pity as Guatemala is a beautiful country.

4. Although I?ve never lived in Guatemala City, I?ve been through it a few times. It?s not the safest place in the world, but through common sense and speaking to locals, your daughter should be fine. Has she done any research into Guatemala City and the country as a whole? Does she speak any Spanish?

5. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Thank you for your replies - advice generally seems to be equally for and against! She is well-travelled and was living in Sri Lanka just before the end of the civil war there so has a reasonable understanding of the risks of working in such places. I'm not sure to what extent she has researched the place - the job is with a language school in Guatemala city, and I gather there are quite a few of those, with quite a large contingent of young Britions and Americans teaching English to Guatemalans. She did Spanish A-level, and they are also providing her with booster lessons while she is there. From my point of view, it's difficult to find up to date information on the situation there, but most people seem to think it is better now than before 2007.