1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in guanzhou

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bmouthboyo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bmouthboyo

bmouthboyo New commenter

Hi all,

I am a 28yr old ICT teacher with 4 years teaching KS3, 4 and 5. I have itchy feet and a good friend of mine has just moved to Guangzhou to teach in a British school.

I was just wanting to get some advice really as I would love to go there but have no idea how often teaching jobs in ICT come up, and wouldnt want to go unless have employment secured.

Can anyone advise when schools usually start advertising?

secondly the pay seems too good to be true. £38000 pre tax so about £2500 take home a month with free accomodation?! Are there usually catches? Would the work load be extreme with this kind of pay? Is this level unusually high?

Thanks

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Join Search Associates or similar, there are loads of ICT jobs at the moment, I am considering rewriting my CV to include some ICT experience.

Money in International schools varies, as does workload. Earning the same as in the UK is great when you consider the cost of living and favourable taxation you get in many countries.

As far as workload goes, days tend to be longer, but teaching is much more fun when you have students who are keen to learn.

The catches are many, you have no unions, contracts are often broken, medical care can be variable. If you can get a place in one of the top schools you should be OK, but there loads of schools that treat staff badly.