1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Guangzhou

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kateagos, Jan 8, 2019.

1. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"If you work in GZ you will be tempted to visit HK as much as possible to keep your sanity"

As always febster it depends on what you are looking for, for my part I found life in GZ perfectly satisfactory. Decent number of bars and restaurants of good quality, some cheap, some not so cheap, excellent new Metro service, frequent and cheap taxis (except between 5.00-6.00 pm on a wet Friday). Plenty of sport to watch and play. Good accommodation, riverside walks and green spaces. I did not see the need to escape to HK (except for M&S) although I visited friends there quite often. I did like to go to Macua though for a change of scene.

Mr_Frosty and agcb256 like this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs. Hippopotamus and I went to HK a few times, to see the sights and eat too much. Otherwise, we found SZ very livable and I would have thought that much the same applies to GZ.

Did any posters ever go to the GZ snake restaurant, made famous (or notorious) by Michael Palin and Around the World in Eighty Days?

3. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

I was just researching about this place after seeing a job.

Not too sure as a single person whether I’d be too lonely

agcb256 likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are a single chap, then of course you will not be lonely. There are lots of very pretty Chinese ladies who would like to acquire a foreign husband. One of my colleagues in SZ married a Chinese Mrs Beste-Chetwynde, a very attractive (and wealthy) lady lawyer.