1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching In Germany

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Pao1989, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Pao1989

Pao1989 New commenter

Qualified Primary Teacher here. A couple of years into teaching abroad and taught in UK 8 years prior to escaping.

Anyone have any experience/insights/tips for living and teaching in Germany?

Looking for somewhere to call home that isnt the oppressive, overpriced beast known as 'Great' Britain.

In particular looking at a company whos logo is red and begins with a phoneme of Greek linguistic origin.

Thanks in advance.

2. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

I know someone who started working at one of their schools in September. She’s had no complaints. Send me a conversation with your questions and I’ll send them onto her.

johnstoneh likes this.
  3. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

I work in Germany now, my school is great and good benefits, staff welfare is a priority and work life balance is great. You pay more tax in Germany, but you get more for your money, salaries tend to be higher and accommodation a better standard. But start up costs can be a lot to begin with (usually 3 months rent as a deposit, a lot of properties have no kitchen at all or you buy the existing one off the old tenants), but a good school who recruit overseas teacher, ought to help you with that.

I know the school you mean, I know some people who work there.They are more like a bilingual school and follow German state school holidays, which change every year and can sometimes mean working 12 weeks without a break, but then you might get 3 weeks at Easter. Some people like them, others don't.

My school are looking for elementary teachers.

4. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Where is your school advertising @Jessaki ?

5. johnstoneh

johnstoneh New commenter

Hi Jessaki, I sent you a message as well about this.
    Thanks!

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Keep in mind that if you have children, 100% tuition means that you still have to pay tax on the fees which can be very expensive

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I don’t see Germany as any cheaper than the UK, but I don’t have data. What does numbeo say? And yes, remember to include the high tax you’ll pay on tuition benefits.

8. rumacke

rumacke New commenter

Hi would you guys mind if I message you about your experiences working in international schools in Germany? I would like to do the same and would value hearing your opinions. Thanks

9. karel

karel Occasional commenter

I've worked in Germany in the past, on two different occasions in two different cities. Happy to provide any information as needed.

10. I am currently looking at teaching abroad and I am interested in a few posts in Germany. Would you mind if I messaged you? Thanks

11. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

I have a friend who teaches out in Germany; she moved from SE Asia and has handed in her notice after less than two terms. She is on the first plane back to SE Asia, so it all depends on school and location of school

12. 576

576 Established commenter

And I work with someone who went from SE Asia to Germany and only lasted one term before heading back to Asia.

13. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Are they serving their year out?

14. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Yes they are completing their year. They were in a city but really tucked away in the suburbs so felt a little out of it. They also said that it was fairly expensive and they paid a lot of tax (not sure about that). They said that the school was really poorly run too and that nearly every new starter had handed in their notice and were breaking contract in the summer

15. 576

576 Established commenter

No.
    Like I said, lasted one term (not before resigning but before leaving) and then back to Asia.