1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching in France or Spain

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mazman, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

I've put this post up in the modern languages section as I imagine a linguist is more likely to be able to advise me! I'm a French and Spanish teacher and I'm desperate to move my family abroad for a few years and for me to teach in either France or Spain. I've been teaching in comprehensive schools for 10 years and have been very successful in the roles I have undertaken. I'm wondering where the best place to look for work would be? I had thought about teaching English in a French secondary school, for example, as I wouldn't feel confident teaching French to natives and I have taught English as a foreign language before, however, I don't want to commit 'career suicide' by being out of the English school system for too long and I've heard 'les concours' are very difficult to pass (especially for someone who's not French) I've also thought about applying to international schools, which follow the GCSE exam boards and English school curriculum, but again, would there be an abundance of native speakers who could teach their language better than me? In which case, I would have to teach English. Are there any Heads of Department or Headteachers out there who could tell me how they would view a prospective employee who had been abroad for 3 or 4 years, teaching in either of these types of institutions? I would want to return to England and my teaching career is very important to me.I look forward to hearing your responses! Many thanks.

2. mazman

mazman New commenter

I've put this post up in the modern languages section as I imagine a linguist is more likely to be able to advise me! I'm a French and Spanish teacher and I'm desperate to move my family abroad for a few years and for me to teach in either France or Spain. I've been teaching in comprehensive schools for 10 years and have been very successful in the roles I have undertaken. I'm wondering where the best place to look for work would be? I had thought about teaching English in a French secondary school, for example, as I wouldn't feel confident teaching French to natives and I have taught English as a foreign language before, however, I don't want to commit 'career suicide' by being out of the English school system for too long and I've heard 'les concours' are very difficult to pass (especially for someone who's not French) I've also thought about applying to international schools, which follow the GCSE exam boards and English school curriculum, but again, would there be an abundance of native speakers who could teach their language better than me? In which case, I would have to teach English. Are there any Heads of Department or Headteachers out there who could tell me how they would view a prospective employee who had been abroad for 3 or 4 years, teaching in either of these types of institutions? I would want to return to England and my teaching career is very important to me.I look forward to hearing your responses! Many thanks.

3. I fear there's not much prospect of you getting a job here in France - far too many Brits tryng to make a living and as you say, the competitive exams are difficult and time-consuming to do: you'd have to spend at least a year preparing to take them to have any chance of passing and then you wouldn't be able to choose where you were posted if your spouse wasn't working - so you'd end up in Cretail or the "frozen North" or France. It's only worth doing if it's a permanent move - I married a Frenchman so jumped through all the hoops because the end result was a "job for life".
    If you had another skill - hairdressing, plumbing, website design.... it might be possible, but what few teaching jobs there are for those who are not "qualified" in the French system are already taken.....
    I'm afraid this is not what you want to hear - hope the Spanish situation is better....

Mel

4. La nuit porte conseil, as they say

after having slept on it I realised that one option that is open to you is a job swap. These are quite common and encouraged here: you find a colleague in France who wants to work in the UK for a year and you do his / her job while (s)he does yours. IIRC you each continue to be paid by your own employer.... and although it is not always the case you might even be able to swap houses too, so live rent free. However, I believe it can only be for one year..... but it would be a start.

I've got a crowd coming for lunch today so can't take the time to look up the details but I'll try and do so later in the week and post them for you,

Mel

5. The British Council used to organise the very thing : teacher exchange in Europe - and I've come across several colleagues who benefited from it. However the scheme ended in 2009, probably because no French teacher in their right mind would want to take on the workload of a typical MFL teacher. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

6. mazman

mazman New commenter

Thank you so much for your thoughtful advice- this is all really useful.Where abouts in France do you live out of interest? Thanks again.

7. mazman

mazman New commenter

The situation looks bleak if I want to teach in a state secondary school in France then. Does anyone know about international schools in France or Spain and how they work? Maybe I could teach English in an international school? Thank you

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Why not look on Jobs at the top of the page? There are usually quite a few posts abroad advertised there.

9. templing

templing Occasional commenter

As Dunteachin says, your best bet Mazman is to start looking for a job in your preferred countries from the UK, I certainly would not venture off to France or Spain with a family in the remote hope that a DECENT international school would employ me, it's nigh on impossible. Well, it certainly is very difficult I'm sure - though I've never tried that approach Unless you have a property or solid assistance in France/Spain, just setting foot in, say, France would cost you 1000's for starters (rent, health insurance - an absolute minimum of 125 £/month for your family- etc.), potential hassle (finding a suitable property to rent at the minute in France is difficult, no shortage of the stuff in most areas but landlords want cast-iron garanties, wage slips, references, etc.), and the associated risks/uncertainties that such a wing-and-a-prayer adventure would carry (there's no shortage of dodgy "international schools" owners around) could be counter-productive and put you off working abroad for good. Pay would be **** poor too. There's always a very remote chance of getting a job (as an English teacher) through the Liste d'Auxiliaires du rectorat - summat like that (I think they call them "vacataires" these days, i.e supply teacher's list), best to phone a rectorat in your chosen area. But again, it's precarious to say the least If you were on your own, why not, but with a family, it's an altogether bouilloire de poissons.

10. Hi.... I'm in the Poitou-Charentes: halfway down on the left - approx halfway between Paris and Bordeaux.

Not been able to find ouit much... here is a link to the pages which explain how I could apply to work in the UK
    http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid55719/menc1106349c.html

I'm sure there's a European programme which must cover job swaps... it'll probably be called after Comenius or Erasmus or some other philospher

if I find out anything else I'll let you know,

Mel