1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Florida - USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Higgi17, Jun 8, 2011.

  1. Are you married to this family member? Is it one of your parents? An immediate family member can, I believe, 'sponsor' a visa for you if they (and you) can prove you will be able to support yourself (which means having a job to walk into). If you're married to them, they just have to prove they can support you (I think).
    If the answers to those 2 questions are no then it will be tricky to get a post in Florida. Your specialties are not, I'm afraid, in demand and could in any case be taught by a similarly qualified American. There isn't a lot of money floating around the education sector in the US at the moment and you may well be in need of a visa sponsor (normally an employer who is prepared to pay for it).
    All is not lost though, there is a LOT of information posted on this forum, try a search for 'USA' or 'America' and start reading.
    Best of luck
  2. Are you able to live and work in the USA? (e.g. married to an American, married to someone who has a visa to work in the USA so that the company will pay for your visa)

    If not, I would suggest that this is something you will not be able to do. Getting to teach in the USA (or move over generally) is pretty much impossible unless you can get a company to sponsor you.

    If you are legally able to live and work there already, then you will need a state licence in order to teach in most states (though some require complete re-training). Your best bet is the state education department as they will be able to give you the information you need on state certification.
  3. Sorry, this must have appeared while I was posting...

    You're correct though Higgi17 - your spouse has to prove they can support you and the whole marriage visa process can still take up to a year (we were told a minimum of six months when we looked into it).

Share This Page