1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Europe with a child - where do I start ?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Tor86, May 2, 2011.

1. Hello,

I'm an NQT teaching English in the North of England, I have a PGCE and am currently studying part-time for my masters in Education, I also have a 4 year old. I enjoy my job and have a great network of family and friends supporting me, but I can't fight the urge to 'up sticks' and move abroad for a while. I'm really not sure where to start though !!

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what salary I can expect, where are the best places to go (I fancy moving to France because it's close by and I speak a bit of the language) ? Do I need to learn the language before I apply ? Do any schools within Europe offer housing packages ? Would my daughter be able to attend the same school that I taught at, at a reduced cost ? Do I need any additional qualifications or certificates before I make an application ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Victoria

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Victoria,
    If I interpret usernames correctly, I am some four years older than Ian who has just answered you, and fully thirty years older than you.
    So like suave Ian, I apologise in advance if any of this sounds patronising.
    Admirable. You must be fully extended on all fronts, and yet you are cheerful and positive. If all this comes across in your letter of application and your interview, you will get a job 'overseas' eventually.
    Be prepared for how much you will miss them, even if you get the most delightful of jobs abroad.
    No-one can help you with this. If you make the move, it could be a triumph or a disaster, and you will go through stages of thinking it is the one or the other before you finally make up your mind that it is is somewhere in between and that you and the toddler are still young and re-adaptable.
    Opportunities there have been limited, but I am told that the international school scene may be awakening at last in Sarkozy's Satrapy.
    No, never. But if you do, as you go along, life will be progressively more enjoyable and interesting.
    Many. Ours, even in an economically challenged country, offers a good rent allowance.
    Yes. Often at 100% reduction.
    No. But most of us 'overseas' heads, even here close by on the 'continong', prefer only to interview candidates with a couple of years' experience, so that they can show us at interview what inspiring young teachers they are, and we can call their current employers to confirm that.
    If you have to wait a bit longer, for the last-quoted reason, before you 'up sticks', your daughter will be at exactly the right age to enjoy accompanying you and to learn a new language and culture while also feeling secure in her family-and-friends fan base back in the lovely North of England.

3. Hi,

Can I suggest you look further afield? For example, here in Brunei there are several single parents who enjoy a wonderful lifestyle with their children. Great accommodation, subsidised schooling and a full time housekeeper to babysit and help in the home!

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Steventon very kindly provided me with some excellent and extensive information about Brunei several years ago for which I was very grateful. I almost applied for C**T but one thing stopped me and that was the conflicting school years of the local system and the international school my daughter would have attended. It is a beautiful place surrounded by many interesting places but as the long summer breaks didn't match, our travel would have been very limited from what I could see. Am I wrong here Steventon, how do people manage the different academic year arrangements?

5. There are not that many IB / British schools in France but there are lots offering bilingual programmes where English lessons at native-speaker level for bilingual learners are part of the curriculum. Some schools pay similarly to French state schools (pitiful) but others will give you a salary based on the UK scale, so it's worth waiting for something good. I've never seen housing included in any package. Speaking French, or being prepared to learn, is a good idea, as it can be hard to integrate into the local community without and because, while schools will help you to some degree with the famous French administration, the amount of papers to be filled in really is the stuff of legends and at least making an attempt to communicate will get you further than being totally dumb.