1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Ecuador

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ajacobs8, Dec 30, 2015.

?

Is it worth applying for a job in Ecuador?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ajacobs8

ajacobs8 New commenter

Hi all

I have recently been contemplating an application for International teaching. Was considering Spain first, but after reading on here how little Spanish International Schools pay (and not paying for holidays), I am strongly reconsidering!

I have noticed a job at the
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    l in Quito, Ecuador and was wondering if anyone could provide any information regarding life in Ecuador (positives and negatives) and whether anyone knows anything about the school and perhaps even paying conditions?

I will really appreciate any advice!

2. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

3. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

Hi ajacobs8,

Did you find out anything more about the country/school? I've also seen some positions there but struggling to get much information. There is quite a bit out there regards ME and Asia but S America doesn't seem to be talked about as much.

4. Deputy_Daug

Deputy_Daug New commenter

Hi ajacobs8,

Quito is the capital of Ecuador in the mountains so it´s cooller than say Guayaquil. The country is obviously Spanish speaking, so you will need to either know Spanish or be prepared to learn it because not many locals speak English, but there is a very large American expatriate community there, mostly retired Americans 65+. There are pleasant squares with park benches, trees for shade, and think colonial spanish architecture. The pace of life is slow. There is a fantastic website called www.gringosabroad,com run by Bryan and Dena Haines which has more information about living in Ecuador.

I believe that the
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    is the only proper British International school in Ecuador. There are a couple of American curriculum schools in Guayaquil and a dodgy "Bilingual" one with an "angry" spanish name near ESPOL Polytechnic in Guayaquil which I wouldn´t touch with a barge pole.

The cost of living isn´t that cheap shopping in the malls because everything´s imported from the States with 100% import taxes on top. If you can, I would stop in the states on the way and do any laptop or mobile phone or musical equipment shopping there. Most of the locals do a shopping run to Miami for that very purpose. Even branded clothes are way overpriced. Local food is alright if you like meat, meat, meat and rice and beans.

It is worth flying to the coast and renting an apartment for the holidays. The high season is February/March. If you are young and like surf and partying, Montanita is your beach party place. But if you're more in your twilight years, Salinas is beautiful. Also there are obviously the Galapagos islands which are a must-see and the rainforest where there are still indigenous tribes. There is a lot to see and do.

But at the
    in Quito insist on a British salary and do not fall for, "this is a developing country so the cost of living is very cheap." It´s not if you´re an expat and you expect the same standard of living as back home.

Whatever you decide,

Good luck!

5. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

"While it may not be the best paying region for international staff, the quality of life is fantastic."

Quite right BogoGeogo! I spent 9 yrs there myself from El Salvador to Argentina. Would go back in a flash! Ceteris paribus

6. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I am sure Ecuador is a fantastic place to live and work but don't write off Spain entirely because you've heard that some schools don't pay for the holidays - lots do. Salaries probably don't match those in other parts of the world (but there's a reason why they have to pay you a lot of money to get you to some of those other places) so you'll have to weigh up salary against cost of living and other benefits. Being closer to friends and family is a big factor for some but it depends on personal circumstances, There's also good state healthcare and (depending how long you stay) state pensions.

I've only hworked 2 years in S.Am and the travel opportunities really were fantastic. I'll be heading back across the pond for the next school year.

7. Aubreii

Aubreii New commenter

Hi,

I have just written and sent an application to the school you mentioned. What is Quito like day to day?
    I must admit the prospect of bringing a young family over (in the event I am selected) is daunting. How is life for Children?

Thanks

S

8. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

My good friend in Mexico City ( she is from Quito) , her sisters children attended that school, she thought it was a good school her sister was on the PTA.
    I love working in North America and I know that life in Ecuador is good.
    Good Luck with your application !

9. Aubreii

Aubreii New commenter

Thank you!