1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by nadeem_aym95, Aug 22, 2020.

1. nadeem_aym95

nadeem_aym95 New commenter

Greetings! I've had this query for a while now, perhaps the beautiful community can finally help get me answers.

Every single school in Dubai requires something called a PGDE or PGCE, which is a UK based qualification to teach. Unfortunately none of the universities actually offer that here.

Instead they offer something called a " Professional diploma in teaching" or a " Professional teaching diploma".

Yes the wording sounds similar but I haven't gotten any clarity on if they have the same value?

Can anyone well versed with these teaching qualifications shed light on this?

I don't want to waste a year on a course only to get rejected by Gems schools because it's not a " UK Qualification".

Thanks in advance!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps it would be helpful if you were to make clear what you mean by "here", nadeem_aym95. Do you mean Dubai? Or some other place?

Yes, there are quite a few schools in Dubai and yes, many of them do require (or prefer) UK-based qualifications. However, that does not mean that all of them, or even most of them, will never even consider your application if you have some good (or better) qualifications from some other country. This is particularly the case if you happen to teach a "shortage" subject, such as Chemistry or Physics. And sometimes it helps if you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

The general consensus on this TES forum seems to be that salaries and "packages" in Dubai are not quite so good these days. If you like sand, shopping malls and motorways, then perhaps you will be very happy in Dubai.

As I have explained in my blog bulagirawithnoodles.blogspot.com there are some advantages to joining a "chain" or group of schools. On the other hand, there are quite a few posters who are somewhat less than enthusiastic about teaching at one of the "sparkly schools".

I believe that there are some schools in Dubai are quite keen on the online PGCE, but then again some might say that Dubai does have a reputation for dishonesty, tackiness and doing things in a hurry.

stopwatch and nadeem_aym95 like this.
  3. nadeem_aym95

Thanks for the quick response!
    Loads of useful information :)

But my question is a little more specific.
    Maybe someone with an extensive knowledge in PGCE/PGDE and residing in Dubai can help me out.

Schools in Dubai require a " PGCE/PGDE " or equivalent. Emphasis on equivalent.

My question is, the course " Professional diploma in teaching" offered by universities in Dubai itself considered equivalent. Because I have no idea about this course , it seems legit but doing this course only for it to not be accepted by schools would be sad.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suggest you contact Gems directly and ask whether the "Professional diploma in teaching" or "Professional teaching diploma" will be accepted by them, and the Ministry of Education.

Gems do, after all, operate several Indian Curriculum and IB Curriculum schools in Dubai.

stopwatch and nadeem_aym95 like this.
  5. the hippo

Yes, Mrs. Hippopotamus and her overweight husband have been to Dubai, aka The World's Fastest City, once or twice. Visiting is one thing and living (and teaching) there might be rather different. But why do so many young(ish) teachers get so excited about Dubai? I have never understood this.

MayaJones and Laughing Gravy like this.
  6. nadeem_aym95

It's probably because Dubai provides a safe haven for individuals from Asia ( specifically the southern parts of Asia).

We aren't fortunate enough to settle in UK or Australia because of financial constraints.

I would say in terms of living standards and monetary saving, Dubai is the next best thing :)

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Good summary Mr H, couldn’t have put it better myself.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Nomad makes a good point. Go straight to the horses mouth, or maybe Aunty Google might even have the answer.
    Additionally, with COVID impacting on schools recruitment for next year (and even longer), their requirements may even have changed to accepting a wider range of qualifications.

nadeem_aym95 and nomad like this.
  9. myothername

myothername New commenter

I know several Americans working at sparkly schools, and they don't have PGCE or any other British qualification, just US certification. I also know Americans who work at THE American school in Dubai, and this is arguably the best school there. The Americans I know who work at that school have US certification and MA degrees.

10. the hippo

There are some people from South East Asia who are not so happy (or so safe) in Dubai. I seem to remember that there was an article in The Independent many years ago, The Dark Side of Dubai. Perhaps the OP would not enjoy reading this famous (or infamous) piece.

When I was teaching in Shenzhen, the most popular teacher, with the staff and the students, was our charming Pakistani deputy head.

11. the hippo

"Standards" and "Dubai" in the same sentence, naydeem_aym95? I would have thought that was an oxymoron.

Having taught in the UK, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, the UAE, Qatar, China and finally Bulgaria, I would say that Dubai might be an exciting place for some young teachers. Perhaps I am becoming too cynical (or too boring) in my old age.

I have written quite a bit about Doo-buy in my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com As you may perhaps have guessed from the title of my blog, Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband prefer Bulgaria and China to the bright lights of Dubai.

12. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

The University of Birmingham in Dubai offers PGCE courses.

stopwatch likes this.
  13. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I am neither young or youngish, but came to Dubai two years ago and love working here - maybe it helps that I don't work in a sparkly school. I have a BSc, PGCE, MA and MEd so did not have any issues with getting KHDA approval for my post.

14. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I was 50 when I started in Dubai and 57 when I left. I also worked in a non-sparkly school where ‘speaking English’ was high profile in its title (hint).
    There were a lot of younger people living there and I can see why they love it. At their age, I probably would have loved it for the same reasons.
    I also loved Dubai, even as an older person, although I could see through the more shallow aspects of it. The school was great, the climate was very amenable, the infrastructure was also excellent and well run.

15. the hippo

Birmingham in Dubai, tyler? Amy Turtle plus sand dunes?

16. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

The Dubai campus has a lot to offer, hippo - they are very active in the inclusion field, support their PGCE students very well and are very much a part of the UK campus, not just an outpost.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

An ex-colleague of mine, from the Primary School where English Speaking is highlighted, works at Birmingham University, Dubai. She is very complimentary of it (She and I are both Brummies, so we would say that wouldn't we?!)

18. Lottatea

Lottatea New commenter

I think it is a step in... Foot in the door... Sort of location... I am aiming for oman for jan, but feel i may have to settle for dubai first

19. the hippo

I am not sure that is a sensible way of doing things, Lottatea. Most schools give their teachers two-year contracts and there can be some unpleasant consequences if you do not keep your side of the bargain. And why "settle for Dubai" if you have other options and maybe better ones?

stoppers, old chap, I am sure that there are some good schools in Dubai. I am not so sure that Dubai is why I would want to live. It is an exciting and unusual place, I grant you.

20. Lottatea

Lottatea New commenter

Hippo... I agree... I think i got caught in the moment after a day of dubai orientated conversations. I think i will hold out for what i actually want. Oman or kl. If you are happy to can you please dm me so i can ask a few more specific questions about oman.