1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mary82, Apr 23, 2018.

1. mary82

mary82 New commenter

Looking for a little advice as I don’t really know where to start...
    I want to move to Dubai to teach primary (& take my daughter who is 17) - I have 10 years experience, masters degree etc but I have no idea what the best schools to work at are? Best areas to live? Best relocation packages available?
    Here, I would visit, meet the headteacher, get a feel for a school.
    Any recommendations appreciated? :)

2. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Get a strong LinkedIn profile and add some connections out here - there are may principals/head teachers on there, many recruiters and you can make useful contacts. I'm not looking for work but have been invited for interviews based on my profile and I am way less experienced than you.

I signed up to the International Schools Review based on the advice given by people on this forum and it seems good and could make a good starting point or at least rule a few poor choice out. I think you can also find a list of all the international school in Dubai online and then look up their local inspection reports etc on the KDHA website.

As for places to live it depends on where you'll be working (and if they provide accommodation or an allowance) really as Dubai traffic is insane in my opinion. Personally I'd choose Dubai Marina, The Greens, Jumeriah Lake Towers (JLT) or Jumeriah Beach Residence (JBR) - even though I know first hand that the traffic would kill me at rush hour.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

why do you have such a narrow focus? there is a big big world out there with plenty of amazing places to live and work

4. mary82

mary82 New commenter

This is such great advice Mr Frosty! Thank you so so much

5. mary82

mary82 New commenter

I would consider other places but the packages available, low crime & the lifestyle appeal to me in Dubai. :)

6. dumbbells66

but you get this is many many locations. Dubai is also not what it use to be with regards to "packages", there are better out there.

7. mary82

mary82 New commenter

This is good to know, thank you. What would your top places be? My daughter is 17 & her safety is a high priority & I would hope to be financially better off

8. dumbbells66

south east asia would be my starting point, or japan, taiwan, korea...there are lots of places

Helen-Back and mary82 like this.
  9. mary82

mary82 New commenter

Thank you - I have only just started researching so will look into these also :)

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Sometimes people send one of those TES Conversation things to an old and smelly swamp-dwelling animal that is rumoured to lurk around this forum.

11. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

And sometimes they choose not to.

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

@dumbbells66 and @the hippo, I have to admire the consistency of your responses :)

(Not a reference to texture)

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The consistency of my responses? Are you suggesting that I always repeat myself and say the same thing, drvs? What a shocking slur on my good name! This is totally untrue. Anyway, here is a photo of my house in Bulgaria and you can find out more by going to my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

129.jpg

14. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"I have to admire the consistency of your responses"

What a polite way to put it! Good job we can read between the lines and unpick the code! ;)