1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by michellewarren, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've just been offered a job in Dubai in a very well known primary school.
    I have been offered 12,000 AED/month with accommodation and flights paid. Free medical cover as well.
    Is this a reasonable salary? I am going with the intention of saving money but this salary is exactly the same as what I am on now in the UK. Should I negotiate for more or is that unheard of? I have quite a good leadership role here and am not sure that I am getting what I am worth.........
    Any advice please?
    Thanks.

2. Sounds good but depends how many years experience you have also. And do you have a family to support? You can be careful and save on that very easily if you're single.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

If it is a job without a responsibility point, it's not too bad. Probably not negotiable.
    As the previous poster says, depends on years experience. If you have a couple then not too bad, if you have 20 years experience, not so good.
    What is the accomodation allowance? you could take that and find a cheap place in your second year/pocket the difference.
    Is it a GEMS school?

4. I have 6 years experience and am a senior leader in my school. Just seems silly to move to the other side of the world for the same money..... Especially as I will be "crossing threshold" in September therefore will be moving into a higher salary bracket here in the UK.
    Should I negotiate do you think?
    I do want to save but I would also like to travela bit while I'm there and take advantage of the proximity to India, China etc.

5. Not a Gems school but same reputation/prestige.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

michellewarren, you really do need to look at the whole package, not just the salary. If you have never lived in a tax-free country before, than I suppose that this is quite hard to imagine.
    Secondly, you need to take into account the time factor. The costs of moving to another country and starting a new life can be quite considerable. If you are only going to the MIddle East for a year or two, then you will not make any significant savings. If you move overseas for six or seven years and become "non-resident for the purposes of taxation", then you really will be able to stash the cash.

7. Thanks guys. All these comments really are very helpful.
    I'll look carefully and weigh up my pros and cons. Wish me luck!

8. Some say that might sound 'oxymoronic'.
    Do you want to work in Dubai OP, or do you want to say you work in Dubai? There are a dreadful lot of poser sorts in Dubai and there is plenty of dosh to be made in other sunny countries. 20 years ago, I loved Dubai, affordable and personal - not now. Big, ugly, shiny.
    Stoppers doesn't do the poser nonsense, I hasten to add. If you want to embroil yourself in the 'Irish Village' scene and drink and eat in fancy restaurants, you will not save...
    Just playing Devil's Advocaat...biased too, hate the place.

9. Not sure i know what OP means....
    Did you teach there then? Any plus sides?

10. You are the OP (original poster, opening poster?).
    Never taught there, but been there on and off for a while. Plus sides? Loads if you like what is on offer. Malls are big and fancy; there is bit of culture - some souks and stuff. Stoppers is a good source, but he is not out every night partying ( I assume..). I have a couple mates out there who are earning big bucks but they still don't love Dubai. Don't be put off by my rants; Dubai is the same as everywhere, some people like it, others don't. But going out is expensive.

11. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

yes please help. whaty is the boarding school beginning witH R...N actually like? salary packages and things to be wary of. A lot of them dont mention dependent education. Is this still included?

12. Those precious stone schools seem to be popular. I've heard their name mentioned a lot. Any tips on what they are like to work for? / salary? / packages?

13. the hippo

Hmm yes, the precious stones schools, aka the sparkly schools. There have been some pretty negative comments on this forum about these establishments. However, last week I met an ex-colleague who is currently at one of these schools (think of a famous old boot-wearing English general) and she had some very positive things to say about her new school. The money was not outstanding, she said, but the school's facilities are excellent and her accommodation in Dubai is a lot better than the one she had in Doha. Yes, the sparkly schools are a bit too concerned about their "corporate image", but she seemed to be quite pleased with her new job. You could do a lot worse.

14. Can anyone give me any info on how I could find out about leadership points in UAE? How exactly does the pay scale for teachers work? Have googled but got lost in the quagmire of red tape.....!

15. Different schools, different scales. The Emirates don't have an LEA!

16. Many thanks. I have now signed my contract so Dubai here I come!

17. stopwatch

One suggestion - if your real name is Michelle Warren, I would look at registering again as a different, more obscure title.
    Once you have started, it will be difficult to be able to say anything negative about anything which may have consequences.
    Just a thought.
    Signed Fred Stopwatch

18. the hippo

Some sensible advice from stopwatch, as usual. I have heard of certain schools in the ME putting "gagging" clauses into teachers' contracts. Posting anything on the Internet under your own name would therefore be most unwise and could even lead to disciplinary action.

19. stopwatch

There have been two threads on this school in the past 48 hours. Both have been taken off.

20. I have had an interview for a school in Dubai and the packaged was discussed. Obviously I haven't been offered the job yet by I'm just curious as to what people think of this package as from reading previous posts and other research it is maybe a bit low? I'm not going for the money if I got the job but it clearly helps especially when starting up
    In a new country.
    Anyways offered was 10,200 a month, one bed furnished apartment not including utilities, yearly flight ticket to London, baggage allowance at start and end of contract is £200, medical Insurance, end of contract gratuity and visa costs.

I have 5 years teaching experience. The school has its own salary scale with goes up each year.

Any insight would be great just incase on the off chance I do get offered the position. Many thanks in advance.