1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by William8686, Nov 28, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hi guys,</font><font size="2">I'm a PE teacher in a secondary school, in my second year now. I&rsquo;ve been looking into the possibility of moving over to Dubai next September with my wife to be (married before we go) and I was just looking for any kind of advice or guidance really. </font><font size="2">I was just hoping to get some first hand advice off people who have done it or who are also thinking of it.</font><font size="2">How competitive is it? What kind of salary / package should I expect, (the information I&rsquo;ve found on this is very broad) When will jobs be advertised? Any information would be very well received :)</font><font size="2">Cheers for your time.</font> <font size="2">W86</font>

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM.

3. I am currently looking at working in Dubai also. Would you be able to give me some information from your experience please?

4. the hippo

Hmm. There seems to be the assumption on this forum that I am some kind of free information service-***-employment agency!
    I have sent you a PM, trish25.

5. I also have been looking at teaching in Dubai as there is a history teacher job available and to be honest after a few years on supply (my choice due to family illness and bereavement) I would like to do something different before I am too old! (I'm 43) I would also like to know what the process is like especially if you have family (1 child aged 9). If anyone could give some advice it really would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
    Good luck with the search William8686[​IMG]

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

yes, but you have to be smart with your money and get a balance between enjoying your time in Dubai reasonably and just blowing it all on an expensive car each, faraway holidays every break, expensive clothes, bling objects like iPhones, iPads, SMART TV, oh yes I almost forgot - and a potentialy very expensive social life.
    You could easily spend &pound;1,000 a month on going out (based on &pound;7.00 a drink each x 8, 3 nights a week, plus eating out 3 times a week at &pound;20.00 each. Going to shows etc even more.
    As a working teaching couple, in the higher paying schools you could save &pound;30,000 a year and even more relatively easily.
    In a number of schools, when you factor in the fact that it is tax free you would be on the equivalent of &pound;60,000 before tax each back in UK.
    'In hand' income could be around &pound;40,000 per year each based on 20,000 aed each pcm as HoD's or HoY's divided by just under 6 aed to the GBP
    Even on a class teacher income of 15,000 aed pcm, its healthy

7. I'm interested to know which other countries you might think were better than Dubai? Any information would really help thanks Tica [​IMG]

8. Hi guys, thanks very much for the information. It's all really helpful and great to get different perspectives on it.

Once again all the information I and others can collate the better, so any more advice would be very well received :)

W86.

9. tica

tica New commenter

For culture, scenery and relaxed lifestyle Oman is the pick of the Middle East (IMO) We had a wonderful time there despite being in a pretty poor school - if we had been in a decent school we would never have left. Qatar is also an attractive option and Kuwait, while a pretty grotty place, offers good packages without the distractions of Dubai so you can really save if that is a priority.
    If you are looking outside the Middle East, friends who have gone to Brunei and China all report great packages.

10. Have you considered Abu Dhabi? Quieter, more family orientated yet just an hours drive to Dubai. In my 4th year here and still enjoying it with choices to spend or save not a bad option x

11. Ditto what rednelly84 said. Ab Dab has everything Dubai has, just not as many of them.

12. re. the Dubai v Abu Dhabi v Oman question. would love to work in the latter two, but jobs advertised at present for teaching couples are in Dubai...beggars can&acute;t be choosers unless you Abu Dhabi advocates know of expansion plans in your schools!!

13. no jobs advertised at present in Oman or Abu Dhabi, so unless you guys have news of imminent expansion in your schools, it&acute;s an application to Dubai....

14. I know there will be ads for Abu Dhabi in January with interviews end of Jan beginning of Feb. Keep looking x

15. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

The company I work for operates several schools and there is always a turnover of staff. You could wait until the jobs are advertised or to be forwarod thinking, email your CV with a photograph and covering letter to the Principles of schools you are interested in. What's to lose?

Good luck :)

16. the hippo

I hope that your principal is indeed a man (or woman) of principle. Some of them aren't, I'm afraid.

17. The trouble with Dubai is that there are more corrupt schools that lie about grades (due to parents expectations) than good ones. My tips are never go to a school which is mostly local, try to go to a school that is not for profit or run by a multi national company (not a local). If you end up in one of the many bad school expect pressure to change grade and to be treated like a second class citizen. There are some good school there look at the KHDA reports that give an indication which schools are good.

18. Hi there,

am typing this from Dubai, I've been here now 3 months. Some of what people say on this thread is true, some a little over-blown.

Someone mentioned do your research. Very true.

Someone also mentioned private/profit schools vs non-profit schools - also reasonalbly true. I work in a profit school, and I've started to notice that certain things slip when a parent threatens to remove their child/cause a fuss etc - so the idea being that we must please the parents to ensure they keep their kid in the school, especially if the child has been in the school a while. Having said this, we are well-resourced, have a good PD budget, they subsidise various things and life is pretty good.

Regarding life-style/saving etc... Well, that is entirely up to you. I am here to save, so I don't really buy into the going out all the time, buying lots of junk, etc etc. I try to save as much, and have a decent holiday away - well at least that's the plan. I was talking to some people the other day and they were talking about their massive credit card debts... If you want to go that route you can. Personally that doesn't appeal, and if you leave here with debts to the banks for credit cards, car loans etc then beware, be very very aware that when you leave legitimately then you are in for a rude shock.

I do find Dubai to be a little soulless, however it's sorta crazy and interesting. Depends what you want.

I could say plenty more, should you want, PM me or email me for more....

19. Thanks again guys, once again finding all his information really useful and helpful.
    OSmarsupial I have sent you a PM.
    W86

20. Checked the TES this last week? New school with very close links to TIMES INDEPENDENT SCHOOL OF THE YEAR 2011 opened this September in Abu Dhabi and are now advertising for all posts for Sept 2012. Plenty of positions of repsonsibility for suitable candidates and more than happy to accept husband and wife teams! Salary and package for Sept 2012 will better any other Abu Dhabi school. Apparently?!?