1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai, what's the best package?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Mr_Iteye-Obi, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Mr_Iteye-Obi

Mr_Iteye-Obi New commenter

Hi all,

I am applying for a maths secondary school teaching role in Dubai. I have seen a lot of job roles and packages but I am not sure what is the best offer.

I am single with no dependents.

What would be a good monthly salary (GBP)/package?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

There's a similar thread just a couple of posts down... I'm sure the answers will be similiar...

3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Oh, I don't know. I'd say that the 'best' package is a different question to the 'average' package.

Assuming you are experienced (10+ years), then the top end schools would pay around £40k net basic plus housing, bills, flights. healthcare with a generous bonus and settling allowance etc that would put another £5-10k net on your annual salary.

Competition for these jobs, however, is fierce. Good luck :)

Mr_Iteye-Obi and dumbbells66 like this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Unfortunately many young teachers only look at the salary, not at the costs. For example, a good package might not be so good if you have to buy a car and then sell it again (perhaps at a significant loss) when you leave Dubai after a couple of years. On the other hand, you might not have to buy a vehicle at all, if there are some other transport options. And what is quite feasible during the winter months is often impossible when the heat is over 40 degrees.

Pat10 likes this.
  5. yasf

True - but the key with any overseas posting is to do more than the 2 years.

Mr_Iteye-Obi likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. Yes, I would agree with you, yasf, that two years is a bit brief and the chances of saving any serious cash are dramatically reduced if you only do two years.

7. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

Very easy to answer the 'best package' question. One school is head and shoulders above the rest - look for the not for profit that does't have a primary section. Recently celebrated its 40th anniversary.

8. yasf

What, no figures ? And how do you know that it's better than the other non profits ?
    (That said, it would be my first choice in Dubai - regardless.)

9. cduffner3

cduffner3 New commenter

There are (or were) only a few not for profit schools in Dubai and I was told that the salaries were rather more pleasurable than the for profit ones (which I was in!) Some 'groups' of schools also make you live in their accommodation, not offering a live out allowance for the first 2 years - fine if you are the same type of person as the others in your block but not great if you're older and quiet and the others are young and 'vibrant' ....or the other way around too!

10. harpplayer

harpplayer Occasional commenter

The O/P is too vague to be able to give an answer, and it depends on the school as well. In the UK, does an Eton package match the one in your local skummy academy with behavioural problems every 30 seconds, who can't recruit permanent teachers in many subjects and have to rely on a 30% supply workforce, where you work 60 hours a week?

Broadly in Dubai though, newish teachers wet behind the ears with little experience in a grotty rent-a-name school (there are lots of them so beware) perhaps £24K pa. There's not much point moving for less than £30K a year if money is the motivation though, as Dubai is expensive and you won't save anything. A decent teacher, easy to get on with, with at least a 2.1 and ideally a Masters and at least 5 years experience and excellent references perhaps £38K at a push in a good school. Add another £5K-£10K for a HoD role.

11. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Jesus, are things that bad in Dubai now. It use to be "the place" to earn a good package years ago. I've very surprised how low an experienced teacher could expect.

12. yasf

The title of the thread does ask about the 'best' package.
    Those days are long gone. Too many young blond NQTs from the Midlands/North flooded the market.

libra28 and dumbbells66 like this.
  13. Mr_Iteye-Obi

I see. In July of this year I would have taught for 6 years. Will the potential settling allowance be paid with the monthly salary?

14. yasf

Usually your settling in allowance gets given to you once you land. UK and US schools tend to handle the bonus differently. US / IB schools will tend to pay a pension contribution of between 5 to 15% of your salary. That will either go into a required investment fund, while others will just pay it into your bank account along with your salary. UK schools tend to pay the bonus at the end of a contract, or once you leave. Again, that can be anywhere between 5 to 25% of your basic salary - depending on the school.

Some schools also have a hardship allowance. I have no idea how much it is. Maybe someone who works at one of the Dubai non-profits could let us know ?

15. Mr_Iteye-Obi

Which school is this?

16. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

This issue is the breadth of salaries paid. This is because there are three types of school: low fee paying for-profits (students may pay as little as 15,000dhs per year to attend). These will struggle to pay class teachers 10,000dhs (£2000) per month (take home remember).
    Then you have the for-profit high fees - some charge students 100,000dhs+ per year... but once the top part has been creamed off (to pay for the expensive new facilities and then into a rich man's pocket) the wages are generally around the 14-15,000dhs per month.
    Finally you have the established not for profits - charging around the 90,000dhs per student, but without the creaming, able to pay their staff around the 20,000dhs (£4,000) per month mark.
    I wont name the best one on here past the clear clues I gave earlier.

Mr_Iteye-Obi and yasf like this.