1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai - recent experiences?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Frances1985, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I know there are thousands of threads about Dubai, but as Dubai is somewhere that seems to be changing constantly, I thought it would be nice to hear from people who are there now and teaching now.

By July this year, I will have taught for 3 years in KS2, 2 of which I have been MFL coordinator. I am also pretty sure that I am just about to be made music coordinator. My parents live in Dubai, so I know what it's like as a place. I also went to primary school in Dubai myself at a school that is still there and considered to be one of the more 'reputable' schools.

However, from people I have spoken to and threads I have read on here, it seems that schools in Dubai have a very high turnover of staff. I realise that this is because there are so many schools in Dubai, but I'm wondering if teaching in a reputable school in Dubai is an enjoyable career?

I am very happy in the school I am in at the moment, but I have always wanted to live abroad again and given that I am only 26 and single, I feel that if I don't go now when will I? I have thought about Australia but a friend I have who lives there said it's really difficult to get a teaching job there at the moment in primary.

2. Hi everyone,

I know there are thousands of threads about Dubai, but as Dubai is somewhere that seems to be changing constantly, I thought it would be nice to hear from people who are there now and teaching now.

By July this year, I will have taught for 3 years in KS2, 2 of which I have been MFL coordinator. I am also pretty sure that I am just about to be made music coordinator. My parents live in Dubai, so I know what it's like as a place. I also went to primary school in Dubai myself at a school that is still there and considered to be one of the more 'reputable' schools.

However, from people I have spoken to and threads I have read on here, it seems that schools in Dubai have a very high turnover of staff. I realise that this is because there are so many schools in Dubai, but I'm wondering if teaching in a reputable school in Dubai is an enjoyable career?

I am very happy in the school I am in at the moment, but I have always wanted to live abroad again and given that I am only 26 and single, I feel that if I don't go now when will I? I have thought about Australia but a friend I have who lives there said it's really difficult to get a teaching job there at the moment in primary.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I seem to remember reading a book about Dubai. It was called The Fastest City in the World. The staff turnover at most Dubai schools is pretty fast as well.
    That reputable, accurate and reliable source of information known as the International Schools' Review may be able to provide you with balanced, informative, up-to-date and detailed descriptions of individual schools in Dubai. Or it may not.

4. Yes I'd also love to hear about recent teaching experiences in Dubai. I am moving there in August/September with friends and am curious how to get the ball rolling. I have registered with many agencies and job bases in the hope to gain more information about packages, what to expect & current work opportunities. Any information from 2012 would be amazing! Thanks!

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A female colleague who left Doha at the end of last year recently came back for a visit. We had quite a long chat about her experiences at the military boot school. (I believe that it is one of those sparkly schools.) Anyway, she seemd to like it, on the whole. Super apartment with a lovely view of the Burj Khalifa, swimming pool, gym etc. The money wasn't much more than what she was getting in Doha and they certainly wanted their pound of flesh. Meetingitis is a horrible disease and there was a major outbreak at her school. Another weird thing that she mentioned was that all of the teaching staff were meant to give the parents their e-mail addresses. W******ton also seems to be into "corporate image", but here was plenty of cash for teaching resources and in that respect she said that it was a lot better than the school she had just left.

6. Hi, I am also thinking of teaching over there. I am from the UK, but I am currently in New Zealand. Does anyone know if any of the schools interview via Skype or something similar, or is it likely that I would have to return to the UK to carry out the interviews? Also, does anyone have any agencies etc that they would recommend signing up with? Thanks,

7. Think very carefully and do your homework! My friend joined a REPutable school in Dubai and it was a disaster. Lots of promises but in reality it was badly managed with a boring, restrictive curriculum. The accommodation was very basic and in the middle of nowhere which meant expensive taxis when they would turn up then having to hire a car when they finally arranged the paperwork to enable him to get a local licence. High staff turnover and really low morale meant he learnt nothing that would improve his teaching. He never felt that he was supported and just didn't trust them at all so the whole time was stressful. On paper the money and benefits might seem good but the reality just wasn't worth it.