1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai...financial advice please.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sarawilson, Oct 22, 2018.

1. sarawilson

sarawilson New commenter

Hello,

I am thrilled to have received an offer teaching in Dubai, starting 6 Jan 2019 - ideal post, fantastic school, great location, excellent remuneration (basic + accommodation allowance)...everything is absolutely perfect!

Before I formally accept this post, I need to be sure that it is possible to transfer a regular amount every month from Dubai to UK to cover ongoing financial commitments/direct debits etc. Dubai basic salary will cover all outgoings PLUS enable me to save a substantial amount which would never be possible on a UK teaching salary.

Any help or guidance regarding this would be appreciated...many thanks.

Ameena29 likes this.
  2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Yes it is very easy and straightforward. This can be done directly from your Dubai bank or by using money transfer companies (found in most shopping malls) or by using companies such as xe.com

PM me if you have any specific questions

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

BTW change your screen name (I assume you are using your real name)

4. sarawilson

sarawilson New commenter

Thank you. Sorry, new to this...how do I PM you?

5. sarawilson

sarawilson New commenter

Not easy to change screen name....thanks for advice though!

6. Basil_Fawlty

Basil_Fawlty New commenter

If you open a HSBC current account in the UK before you leave, and open a HSBC account in the UAE you’ll be able to link them together via online banking. You can then transfer between the accounts free of charge.

loislane1 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

The advice is prudent. Just open a new account. All the best for the new job.

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

In my opinion Basil has the best plan - the HSBC transfer is very easy and although I haven't done it I think you can set up a recurring transfer online and you never need to worry about it.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Argh! Don't use your real name on an Internet forum, sarawilson. (Really I am a giraffe, but people kept teasing me. It was a pain in the neck.)

Yep, no problems with money transfers from Doobuy.

10. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I was transferring from Abu Dhabi (same, same!) last year. It just takes a little while longer to appear in your UK account, so make sure you transfer in plenty of time before your DDs go out.

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter

How to start a 'Conversation' or PM is explained here.
    How to guide

stopwatch likes this.
  12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Copied from TES FAQ

upload_2018-10-23_11-23-58.png

cookiemonster611 and stopwatch like this.
  13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

In case you are wondering why people are being so insistent on you changing your username, there are schools who trawl these forums (fora?o_O) to look for employees who are contributing/making comment.

This might not seem a problem, but there may be times in the future when you need to come on here to ask some contentious questions which, if your employer sees them, may lead you into trouble. Better to play it safe.

Regarding the HSBC thing - yes this is a very straightforward thing to do, but you are likely to get better exchange rates from the money transfer companies (Al Ansari are one that I can recall -- but there are lots to choose from). If you go to one of their branches - eg in the Dubai Mall (or any mall for that matter), the exchange rates are advertised. However, if you go to the desk and talk to the cashier, you can negotiate even further down. Generally, the more you are transferring, the better rate you can negotiate. There is a flat rate fee - about £6.00 from memory. So, if you are transferring, say £4,000 - £6,000 you might get a couple of hundred more than with your bank, but pay £6.00 for the benefit.

You just register with them (I think you need your passport and/or your Dubai ID card) and each time you go, you just show them your Al Ansari registration number.

BTW I have sent you a PM so that you can reply and ask any questions about Dubai in general. I was there for 8 years. If you go to the top right onto your icon, the drop down menu has 'conversations' - click on this

14. LCass

LCass New commenter

I'd second what @stopwatch said. Once Al Ansari was set up, I just carried the card with me. It was super easy to use and we usually got a good deal with them, better than using bank transfer. It definitely made a big difference when we left Dubai and had to sent our end of service bonus payments across. We went to a number of different exchange places and asked for the best rates they could give us. There's also a company called transferwise which is apparently good but I never used them myself.

15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I have PMd you. Waiting for reply.........

16. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I live close to an Ansari Exchange but get a better deal transferring from HSBC to HSBC - only marginally but over a few years it mounts up.