1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Dubai but not a teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by fatlamb, Jun 12, 2018.

1. fatlamb

fatlamb New commenter

Okay, before I start I know I will have my work cut out to achieve my goal so please don't all shoot me down at once. Right, I have a 2.1 bachelors degree in Business Studies from UL and I have been working for nearly a year in a company in Dublin. Some of my friends are moving to Dubai in September and others next January and I am just wondering about the possibilities of me going. They did teaching in college, I did not, and there lies my problem. Can anyone give me any advice at all? Would a TEFL course help? I have other friends in Vietnam teaching English with just a TEFL in terms of a teaching qualification but I understand the UAE and Vietnam are 2 very contrasting places with incomparable education systems. Can anyone tell me where to start or even if I should start. I have no idea, please help?

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Occasional commenter

TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. I have no idea how you might obtain 'a TEFL'. If you mean a TEFL course then of course you will need to do one if you want to teach EFL. The only worthwhile, recognised course is a CELTA. There is a large amount of information about the CELTA on this forum. I'd suggest you do a search first and then ask any further questions. You will also need to research the local job market for EFL. Standards will undoubtedly be higher than in Vietnam and you might not be employed without experience.

If you want to do the same kind of teaching as your friends and the posters on this forum, you will need to do a postgraduate teaching qualification and gain two years post-qualifying experience.

Your background in business studies will help you teach business English but the obvious question here is why you are trying to get an EFL job rather than the kind of work you normally do. EFL isn't well-paid. Surely it would be easier and more lucrative to look for a job in your field?

3. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

Good luck, fatlamb!

As for teaching in the UAE, K-12 teaching and administrative positions are planned to require a UAE teaching certificate from the end of 2020 for all Ministry of Education (MOE), independent and international schools.
    https://www.thenational.ae/uae/faqs-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-uae-teachers-licence-1.712805

The days of being hired to teach in one of the UAE international schools without teaching credentials seem about to end. There may be other options in east Asia, but please take care. There are some shady characters out there. Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware): https://www.w24.co.za/Work/Jobs/a-c...scammed-into-a-teaching-job-in-china-20180606

Most post-secondary jobs teaching business require a Phd.

There are loads of schools in East Asia offering 120 hour "TEFL" certificates and "guaranteeing a job". I wonder how many of those certificate factories also offer English lessons to kids and/or adults and use their TEFL certificate students as teachers who are not only free but are paying for the privilege. Here is a fellow who says he is teaching English in Saigon, ten hours per week, for $15-$20 per hour, and that his income (combined with that of his gf) supports a comfortable lifestyle.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

You might check out Dave's ESL Cafe to see a lot of ads for low-or-no benefit jobs offering $500-$1000 per month. A series of jobs like that might be fun for a while but probably would not comprise a career. A university degree with a TEFL might earn you twice or even three times that in China - but Caveat Emptor .... http://www.eslcafe.com/

If you would like to establish a career in education, you might consider investing in obtaining proper teaching credentials. Demand for teachers in international schools is predicted to expand faster than teachers are being trained to fill the positions. https://thepienews.com/news/teacher...-schools-biggest-challenge-says-isc-research/

There is a lot of information here on the TES site about options for becoming a qualified teacher. Contrast $500-$1000 per month/no benefits with $40-$80,000 per year with annual flights, paid accommodation, health insurance and professional development. One place to learn about some of the schools out there is InternatonalSchoolReviews.com. The $29 fee to read the thousands of reviews behind the paywall is well worth the spend IMO. Many reviews also include information about salary ranges, benefits and quality of life.

Best of luck!!

tesolmath

4. tesolmath

tesolmath New commenter

5. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

There is a chain of schools that will take a degree holder as a teacher and maybe you could do a ipgce whilst working. Just use google to find the school chain.

JL48 likes this.
  6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Dubai is mostly expats so I'm not sure who you'd teach English to. I don't think TEFL is something that is really need there.

Your best bet is to research jobs in your existing employment area as you would need at least 1 year post PGCE to be considered by any even half decent school to tech business studies.

7. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I met someone from BC Abu Dhabi who said they had a hard time recruiting staff in the city but you would need at least a CELTA for that and possibly some experience.

Why are you tied to the idea of teaching? There are many jobs appropriate for expats in the UAE that aren't teaching related - I know accountants, financial advisors ( :rolleyes: ), PR execs, Journalists, Estate Agents, Financial Sales execs, etc

Have a look at some of those roles as it may be easier to get into than teaching if you don't have the required qualifications.

tesolmath likes this.