1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Doha

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jaspercarrot, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I'm looking to move to Doha in the summer, I'm a Secondary English Teacher in the UK.I have been to Doha before but don't really know anything about how teaching works out there, does anyone have any advice about applying for jobs, schools, salary, benefits etc.

Thanks
    Jill

2. I'm sure thehippo will give you all the information you need. In the meantime I have sent you a mail about something that might interest you.

3. Lots of new school opening which may be worth looking at but be careful with some of the older ones. There are 4 or 5 good schools in Doha. Salaries vary as does accommodation, many teachers are excellent, students are well-motivated in many shcools - not all. Resources and staff development vary widely. QF provides free courses now and again for anyone (great for those in schools which do not help at all). Do not be misled by fancy websites or what you hear at interview. Get info. from current teachers at the school you choose and scan the development plans/ improvement plans and contract with a fine-toothed comb. It can be a great place for families and singles, imho. Good luck with your decision-making.

4. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

Which school are you at Sippicanman?

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Sippicanman overdramatises the situation, I think. Yes, it is true that Qatar is not the most exciting country in the Middle East. Maybe Doha is not everyone's idea of a wonderful city, but it's not so bad. The climate is more or less the same as in any other Gulf country and Qatar is a bit more laid back and tolerant than some countries we could mention.
    Even in one of the not-so-good schools, you might still have a reasonable salary, some good colleagues and the pleasure of teaching some delightful children. A lot of Arab parents are polite, respectful and genuinely grateful.
    I have found that jaded expat teachers in the Middle East are a bit too fond of a good old moan, when in fact they are lucky to have a relatively well-paid job in one of the few parts of the world that has more or less escaped the worst aspects of the current financial crisis. Why do so many teachers want to come to the Middle East? For the scenery? To learn Arabic or to smoke shisha? No, to earn money. If you love taxes and rain, stay in the UK, please. Doha isn't perfect, but neither is Birmingham.

6. the hippo

I have sent a PM to your Inbox. Hope it is helpful.

7. I'm a little late replying to this thread (and don't usually get involved in the forum...), sorry.
    I really feel for sippicanman. But, please don't let him put you off. Do your research about the school (obviously). Ask to speak to current members of staff - people in similar personal situations to you and staff who are similar in age. (We're all at different stages of life and what you expect will be different). Find out the staff turnover.
    I'm having a great time in Doha. I enjoy the fact that for the first time since I've been teaching I can travel during holidays. I love the fact that for the first time in years I have savings. Doha is not the most dymanic place. But then if you live in a vibrant city in the UK, how many times do you go to the theatre? Museums? Cinema? etc. I know that I didn't make the most of what was on my doorstep in the UK while I was there.
    You get out of living here what you are prepared to put in.

8. the hippo

Well, thank you for those detailed and informative comments, deeqakos.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Right speechless he was. One post to his name and he bottled it. Not unlike my beloved but maddening Gunners.
    I have no first hand knowledge of Doha, but I agree with the comments that most any place is what you make of it. Most of life is going to work, what's for dinner and we need toilet paper. You may as well be doing it in a place where you can live well, travel and have unique experiences.

10. the hippo

Well, I am not in management. (Can you imagine a smelly old hippo on a school's SMT? Well, maybe you can!)
    Anyway, Doha is not too bad. My wife and I recently went for a wander around the Pearl and the new opera house has opened. Quite impressive. I even have taken to strolling round the park behind the Grand Hyatt Mall, in an effort to lose my paunch. The National Day celebrations were amazing and of course Doha is a great place to be if you like watching sport. Last week we went to the fantastic "Dutch Masters" exhibition at the excellent Museum of Islamic Art. (Yes, I know that Rembrandt was not a Muslim, but they still put on the exhibition.) If you get bored, there are things to do and there is always QDC, aka the booze shop, if you want to drown your sorrows.

11. I wasn't referring to Doha but rather to the 'school' in question.

12. Hi
    I am thinking about teaching in Doha but ha 3 kids; i am worried about school fees there as it appear very expensive and having enough money left over for a good standard of living. I am also worried as my eldest son is in year 10 and started gcse's; so he will be in year 11 when l start and would need to continue there. How would this affect his gcse and examining boards etc...

would be great if you could help me

Thanks so much