1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Doha at an English School.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jeera, Nov 18, 2019.

1. jeera

jeera New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently been offered a job in an English school in Doha. Majority of the pupils are Qatari. This is for a secondary school position. Perks look great. I will be moving with my family, so my spouse and 2 children under the age of 4.

Anyone willing to share any tips and experiences of their life in Doha and the pros and cons of settling and teaching in Qatar?

Much appreciated. I am looking for more work life balance... and don't want to take much work home.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Some schools in Doha are rather more "English" than some of the others, jeera. If this is one of the rotten apple schools, then a long bargepole is required.

3. jeera

jeera New commenter

How do I find out what the school is really like?

4. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Life in Doha can be as good, bad and down right terrible. It will all depend on how you find the job and its challenges.

The bright side:
    - they were honest about the make up of the cohort
    - the "perks" meet your expectations
    - you will get that work life balance.

The downside....

If it is not the right fit for you.. You will know be the end of your first week.

5. the hippo

Dear jeera, yes, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

6. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

send me a message as I might be able to shed some light on the school for you

7. paradine

paradine New commenter

Also looking at Doha - would love to know which schools to avoid. Would you mind messaging me too?? Thank you!

8. the hippo

Yes, paradine, I have also sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

9. shadiahaji33

shadiahaji33 New commenter

Hi,

I am also in a similar position. Although slightly different. Im currently studying for my undergraduate at University of Manchester, English Literature. When i finish i do want to move out. I dont want to do a pgce, and looking to do a celta. Ive been told the middle east arent really bothered as such with the teaching qualification, they want a degree. I should graduate next year and want to move there with spouse and 2 children who will be 6 and 5 by then. Im a muslim so im aware of the culture restrictions etc, im just getting mixed reviews from people.

I know a few people who went without a pgce, and did a tefl or celta. Im hopefully aiming for primary or teaching ESL.

Any advice would be amazing.
    Thanks all!!

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

You will need a degree and a teaching certificate (PGCE) and 2 years teaching experience to even be considered for a job teaching in one of the good schools.
    You cant just rock up to a country in the middle east and go teach english. You need a visa and work permit. Working without the local work permit can have serious consequences.

You have been misinformed.

11. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

I second moscowbore. You have been misinformed. The ME is bothered about your qualifications, particularly the UAE. Let's hope you didn't get your info from your chosen university.

So when you decided to move next year you 1) don't have a any formal and recognised teaching qualification/s and 2) no experience... In a subject and area of teaching and learning literred by qualified NQTs from all over the world..... For your young children and your long-term career, stay at home and complete your PGCE and NQT year.

fullblownattack63 likes this.
  12. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Get an iPGCE and all their problems will be solved.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  13. the hippo

shadiahaji33, you could get a PGCE and then all of your problems might just be starting, if you end up teaching in some of the naff schools in the ME. The worst ones usually have Arab-sounding names. You can read all about these so-called "international schools" in the ISR, if you have a strong stomach.

There are, however, the schools where fat is chewed and for those you certainly do not need a PGCE or a CELTA or a brain or any integrity.

14. fullblownattack63

fullblownattack63 New commenter

My advice is that you are very misinformed, and that you should protect the future of your career by getting a PGCE in the UK first. Whats the rush? Sure you might get a job in a bad school out here teaching English to locals but don't expect much progression, or any benefits for your family.

On that, don't expect the schools out here to always be willing to pay your children's fees either. My school charge 50% fees for the second with the first kid being free. I have some colleagues at worse off schools where all they get is a 30% discount off school fees. Which eats up most of your salary!

I love it out here. You can find my posts where I've spoke up of living in Qatar. I make good money and have an excellent work life balance. I've never been fitter or happier in my life.

But it's not for everyone. Definitely do your homework on the schools (I agree with others, use the ISR site) and make sure you are aware of the recent blockade crisis. We keep getting told this is being lifted soon (which means flights to UAE and surrounding airspace become available again), but we are still waiting. You really need to be a patient person to live in Doha without going a bit mad.

salamandes likes this.
  15. the hippo

Some excellent advice from flullblownattack63.

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, it is a few years ago now that Mrs H. and her overweight husband were in Doha. However, not that much has changed, it seems.

"Buy one, get one free" appears to be the motto of quite a few schools in Doha, when it comes to places for the children of their teachers,.

16. gilderbeast2000

gilderbeast2000 New commenter

Poor Air Quality is an issue especially if you have small children. This really impacts on the quality of your life. Expect rhinitus, bronchitis and regular trips to doctor. Or stay in the reasonably fresh air of UK..

17. simplyme2

simplyme2 New commenter

What is the status of an iPGCE in the ME? Do they hire teachers with an iPGCE? Do they hire teachers who want to do an iPGCE while working at the school in the UAE? Are there in fact ANY teachers at all in the UAE or ME doing an iPGCE or are they all in CHina?

18. caspergmoore

caspergmoore New commenter

@fullblownattack63 My partner has been offered a role - i cant seem to find the tes conversation option for but can i ask some questions?