1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Cyprus.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by unfoggingblogger, Jan 28, 2018.

1. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

Hey everyone!

Has anyone got any contacts in international schools in Cyprus?

I know it's quite niche, but my family have a property there and the thought of teaching on the beautiful island appeals to me very much.

Please forgive the shameless request, but I've hit a brick wall!

I've taught both English and history. Also, I have HOY experience.

Warm regards to you all :)

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

3. unfoggingblogger

4. tica

tica New commenter

I also have a home in Cyprus (Paphos area) but found it impossible to get an English teaching job there. So few vacancies and even to do supply for one school in St Georges I was required to jump through so many hoops by the Ministry of Education that I simply gave up!

5. unfoggingblogger

I'm finding that I'm getting a similar experience.

Despite the fact:

1) I have teaching experience across three subjects

2) I am a Head of Year

3) I have taught an in international school before

4) I have written for the TES' subject genius

5) I have a fairly lucrative set of resources on the TES

All I'm getting back is 'no vacancies at this time' but that they will 'keep my details on their system'...

I guess it's such a niche market, it's almost impossible.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I got drunk with the Chief Inspector of Schools of Cyprus once. Hilarious guy. Smoked like a chimney.

Lots of Greek Cypriot British teachers looking to return to Cyprus from the UK. I'd imagine that they'd get priority.

7. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Agreed. There is a lot of crossover between the UK higher education and Cyprus: lots of Cypriots have UK qualifications and UK teaching experience.

JL48 likes this.
  8. unfoggingblogger

I hadn't thought of that.

Well, hot diggidy, looks like my dream move is not going to materialise any time soon!

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Anyone have current info on Larnaka?

10. tica

tica New commenter

On the plus side: the wages are so awful you would have difficulty surviving on them anyway!

11. unfoggingblogger

What do they pay?

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Just beware of the "Ancestry" school. Reviews are bad. I have past history with this school and for well over 25 years it's never been a good place to work.

13. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Any more thoughts/experience on Cyprus?

14. naokal

naokal New commenter

Any more feedback?

15. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I’ve worked in three Paphos schools so it isn’t that niche! They are very much businesses set up more to make the owners money rather than to provide a good quality of education. If you’re a well qualified secondary teacher it may be counting against you because well qualified competent secondary teachers fall out with the owners very quickly and leave. The result is the owners like to employ unqualified inexperienced teachers. The requirements from the ministry are that you have your qualifications approved at their offices in Nicosia. They don’t require teaching qualifications for secondary teachers just degrees largely in their subject (hence unqualified teachers can still teach). It is fairly farcical but there is no reason why if you are qualified you won’t get approval. The Cyprus international school scene is starting to look like the shabbier end of the Spanish one with a captive market of ex pats who are never going to learn the native language willing to believe the outrageous claims made by the school owners so they can live in the sun with a beer in their hand....

To give yourself the best chance of getting a job in one of these schools play down your experience and qualifications and praise the schools and Cyprus. Good luck.

16. laurie000

laurie000 New commenter

Oh... I forgot to mention ISOP are advertising for teachers at the moment. I really enjoyed working there.

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I can't imagine they pay at all well. What were you on if you don't mind me asking