1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Coventry - anyone able to help?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3738, Aug 5, 2011.

1. I currently live in Lancashire and I am an NQT. I am wanting to move the Midlands and have applied to join the Coventry NQT database - does anyone know how it works?
    The Coventry council website gives the impression that they want or need more teachers there does anyone know if that is the case I as desperately need/want to start my induction. Also moving there would be difficult until I have a salary - but once again the council website talks about housing associations offering help etc.
    If anyone lives in Coventry or has made the move there and could offer any help or advice i would appreciate it.
    Many thanks

2. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

Definitely don't go down there without a post (preferably F/T permanent) already lined up. Your chances of a job probably depend on whether you want to do secondary or primary- when I was down there trying to get a job in primary, I got the impression that a lot of posts went to internal applicants. Most of the supply work I was offered by agencies actually ended up being in Birmingham rather than Coventry, and even then I earned nowhere near enough to pay the rent, so ended up moving back up north. As I was desperate for some sort of work in education, I even applied to be put on Coventry Council's database of one-to-one tutors, but never heard anything back! I think they just advertise their database to get as many hopeful NQTs on their books as possible so they can pick and choose.

3. Hi, I'm in a similar situation, though not an NQT (I'm M4 now) and was wondering the same thing ;)

How is the job situation in the surrounding areas? birmingham, warwickshire etc??

4. Are you primary or secondary. If secondary I would be able to PM you with details of schools to avoid - I worked secondary but have now moved away - some of them are really tough. If primary can't help you much really however can help you with areas to avoid when it comes to accommodation. Send me a PM and I woill get back to you