1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in China..

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Catvas83, Jan 15, 2020.

  1. Catvas83

    Catvas83 New commenter

    Hi I've just been offered a teaching job at an international school in Kunshan, China. It's a new school opening its doors in September 2020. Someone mentioned to me that there is a problem with sending back money to the UK from China- is this true? Are teachers who are currently based in China able to transfer money back into their savings in UK or are there restrictions on this?
    Also any other advice you can offer about teaching/living in China- especially Kunshan region- would be most welcome :)
    spanboy likes this.
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.
  3. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    It is possible to send money out of China, but its a bureaucratic paper intensive nightmare.

    Just do a search of the forum for information about working in China.

    But I would check to see if your school has the word Bilingual in its title as all the western expats in Kunshan can meet in a phone box.
  4. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    It is possible to send money out, you just have to be prepared to set aside about two or three hours of your time to do it. If you're lucky, then your school will arrange it for you by paying your salary directly to your home account, if not then make sure you have plenty marking or reading to catch up on while you wait!
  5. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    No problem sending money home, though - as others have said - it is time intensive and has to be done in person at the bank; not possible online. I believe there are other ways to do it other than via a bank but I have always done it at the bank as it's safe and secure. You will only be able to make an international transfer on salary that has had the tax paid - without this proof, you won't be able to do it, not at a bank at least. There is no limit on transfers as far as I know, but if you are drawing money on your Chinese card abroad there is an annual limit of 10,000 usd I believe.
  6. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    There is a limit of 50000USD that can be transferred out of China. There is a way of sending 75% of your total salary if it exceeds 50k USD.

    When you finally leave China you can take all your savings and property sale money with you but you need extra letters from your employer and proof of Tax paid on income.
  7. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    Presumably you mean 50,000 usd PER ANNUM?
  8. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    That rather reminds me, spanboy, of the story about the bursar of an old independent school in the UK, whose secretary wrote to all of the parents to inform them of what their school fees would be "per anum". One irate father promptly wrote back and said that he had heard of paying through the nose, but that this new method of payment was not a good idea.
    afterdark and spanboy like this.
  9. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Of course, that's just transferring by bank - you can take the cash out and bring it back with you bit by bit too. There's a maximum amount per person, but you can divide it between your family when you travel (including the kids) and then if anyone comes to visit and you trust them, you can do that too.
  10. mermy

    mermy Occasional commenter

    Indeed! You can take approximately £8500 per person into the UK without declaring it. The husband frequently took 8k and deposited it into the UK bank account.
  11. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    Haha, yes, rather like the Spanish 'años' v 'anos' too! Similarly 'pollo' and 'polla' - I've heard many an expat make that mistake, to the guffaws of the Spanish waiter taking the order :)
  12. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Or "burro" and "mantequilla" - I'd love to see a waiter respond to that by returning with a donkey at breakfast....
    spanboy likes this.
  13. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    Yeah...reminds me of Basil and Manuel from 'Fawlty Towers' :) ...'too much burro on, those, trays' 'No! it's: uno, dos, tres' hehe
  14. djphillips1408

    djphillips1408 New commenter

    I live in Hefei in China and sending money back home is an absolute doddle. Just buy bitcoin with your Chinese bank account and sell it to someone back home who does a UK bank transfer. Takes a few minutes to do and is easy to do using a site like localbitcoins dot com and it will cost you about the same or often less than going to a bank.
  15. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    The issue with anything else than a Chinese bank to UK bank transfer is showing proof of tax payment. All the money I send to UK comes from the salary paid by my school(pay slip) into my named Bank Account (Bank Statement) Tax deduction (Tax Receipts), sent to my named UK Bank Account. The UK IR Service may ask you to provide proof of foreign funds entering your bank account and can demand tax payments from you if you cannot provide the paperwork for your money.
  16. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Febbers, old chap, if only it were so simple...
  17. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    The IR gave up on me when I sent them an example scan of all the documents I could provide!

    But the new Anti Money Laundering and Anti Terrorist laws can be a pain when sending 20k GBP back to the UK(ex rate was 8.2/GBP). My money got stuck in system for 6 weeks having to prove I am not an international drugs lord or something else, resulting from several years working in the Middle East I suppose.

    Remind me to visit the Chinese Tax office to print off 7 years worth of tax reports and the Bank to print out all my bank statements before I return to the UK.
  18. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    This is going to interesting to watch in Suzhou! Two rent-a-name schools have recently opened schools in the city and another four rent-a-name schools are due to open this year/next year.

    There are not enough expats in Suzhou to keep the current "International Schools" supplied with enough students as it is and the number of empty chairs in the current "Bilingual Schools" is astonishing.

    Where are all the students going to come from that parents can afford 45000GBP school fees and no one has considered where are all the teachers with Degrees from Oxford and a Masters from Cambridge going to come from to stand at the chalk face. If a school is serious in its job description that all staff require a "Masters" as minimum entry level qualification, I wish them luck in their recruitment drive.
    Teachallover likes this.
  19. Teachallover

    Teachallover Occasional commenter

    Suzhou and the whole of China. Now all the faculties and international ideas are up and running it’s time for local licenses and government control to take over which was clearly their plan all along. The direction the country is going...not overnight, however, the pace is speeding up right now.
  20. spanboy

    spanboy Occasional commenter

    'Buy-a-Masters' websites will be rolling in it, if this is going to be the way forward generally in China ;)

Share This Page