1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in China or U,A,E

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by IAMBOG, Apr 14, 2012.

1. IAMBOG

IAMBOG New commenter

Is it possible for us all to go over even though my wife will not be working?
    Yes, but that will make it more difficult as you are expensive. We will be having a child in July, so my wife won't be working next year. We are already at an international school and chose to stay because difficulties of getting hired as a teacher with three dependents in another school. However, I did send off a couple of resumes and got positive responses and interview offers. Mind you, I'm not looking at Brit school and that might make a difference.
    Is it worthwhile, moneywise, to move abroad and save?
    As a family with only one you working you will probably have a decent life (depending on where you work), but you probably won't save a great deal. We won't have to skimp on holidays while my wife is off, but we don't expect to accumulate much in the next year. As a teaching couple in the Middle East (ish) we save one salary and live well off the other.
    We have other reasons, it is not just money, we recently finished a worldwide trip.
    I have read on here that some Brit heads would look poorly on taking a year off. I don't think that would be the case in my school, but it might affect your ability to find work.

2. Hi IAMBOG
    Thank you for taking the time to give me a response. It is much appreciated!
    I should probably mention that we have only travelled during school holidays, and so have five years continuous service.
    We will take your advice onboard and begin our research.
    Thanks again

3. The weather in the UAE is much better than in China. In fact, my experience of this newly emerging superpower is that it has the worst weather and climate in the whole world.
    I have never been in the Kolyma though.