1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in chile?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Zinzan87, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Zinzan87

Zinzan87 New commenter

what are the salaries and benefits compared to the UK?
    Has anyone got any knowledge of St.Johns?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I am well out of date re salaries and benefits but I have some experience of Chile, which is a spectacularly beautiful country with vastly varied topography. Working class Chileans are generally the salt of the earth. The students (typically 90-100% Chilean) in independent schools come mostly from the upper middle class and can be 'special' i.e. stroppy.

Parents are very high profile and some of them will even exert pressure on the school management to fire teachers they don't like. The Centro de Padres (parents' association, but much more powerful than any UK PTA) often has an office in the school building.

Expatriate teachers and students are usually a tiny minority in ABSCh schools and the matriculation demands of the Chilean national curriculum can make A Level, IBDP and IGCSE low priority for the students. Some 'British' schools only offer Chilean curriculum.

Santiago independent schools had major drug problems twenty years ago and I wouldn't think matters have improved. I can't speak for Concepción in that respect but it has had its 'political' problems in the past.

I loved Chile and made some enduring Chilean friends (the monthly gentlemen's dining club is a fond memory) but I cordially loathed my time as Principal in Santiago and had no hesitation in turning down a second contract. Ditto when the same school invited me back a few years later. Wyatt Earp may have been a legend but one stint at the OK Corral was more than enough for me.