1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Canada?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MissELowe, May 18, 2018.

1. MissELowe

MissELowe New commenter

This maybe a hashed out topic but I'm needing some clarification!

My husband has been offered a job in Vancouver so now we're looking at the possibilities of me going with him and ultimately earning a living there too. I have a first class degree, PGCE with QTS and in the process of finishing a Masters in Education.

From reading other threads, I'm getting the opinion that this means very little for the Canadian unions and that it'd be almost impossible to teach out there.

I suppose my question is, is that the case? And if so does anyone else have any other options what I could do out there?

This job is my husband's dream and I want to go over and share it with him. Money will be tight over there so anyway I can contribute, I'm happy!

Thanks in advance and sorry with the waffle!

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

3. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Where exactly will you be living in Vancouver? It makes a difference and will influence people's answers. Is it in the Vancouver or Greater Vancouver? Could you be a bit more specific.

4. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I have worked as a teacher in Vancouver 1997-2001 (thought it was greatest place on earth then) and managed to last 18 months second time (wife, me, son all have Canadian citizenship) in 2016/2017. Even if you have a Masters in education you will still need six university credits in English or French regardless of what you are teaching. Canadian bureaucracy is the worst on earth and the BC College of teachers is the worst of the worst. 20 years ago Vancouver was a great city. Still really laid back hippie vibe in places like Kits and Commercial. It is now the worst city I have ever been in bar none. It has been bought by billionaires from China. $3 000 000 for nothing special apartment. Totally greed driven with a very right wing provincial government. I am IB trained and Maths Chemistry and impossible to get work. Every one with money in Vancouver brought it there or made it in property. The only opportunities in the city are for medical professionals (my wife is midwife so earned $130 000 + ) but still not enough to keep us there. Tutoring AP Calculus pays $18/hour and min wage for other jobs is lowest in Canada. In Vancouver $4000/month rent for anything decent. West Van, Noth Van. Burnaby not much better. You can go further out (Port Moody Pitt Meadows etc) but google woman in Tim Hortons who sh*t on floor and then picked it up and threw at staff last week in Langley (and that totally sums up the lower mainland). Traffic awful and when they get out cars and spit at each other (seen many times) just disgusting. Vancouver, in many many respects, can no longer be considered, in any way, Canada. Oh you will also see people regularly shoot up on streets in Down Town. Down Town East Side is like the end of the earth and you will never see anything like it anywhere else (not even in States). Impossible to register with a doctor and health care is even worse than UK. Are you aware of how wet the winters are? And I am Scottish.Paradise lost and now simply disgusting.

Sorry so long (I cannot pm) and opinionated. You may go and love it but if you are form anywhere decent in UK, Europe or OZ be very wary.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  5. swsimp160

6. swsimp160

Sorry it was Abbotsford not Langley. Both equally awful. But hey the mountains are nice to look at when you can actually see them through the clouds.