1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Canada

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by jnewbery09, May 4, 2012.

1. Hi. I have been on a few websites and seem to eligible for a Canadian Visa, based on my education, Primary Teacher for 3 years and age (young-ish).

Can anybody give me any advice, (hopefully positive....) willing to go anywhere within Canada, just want an adventure for myself and my young family.

Many thanks in advance.

James

2. Hi. I have been on a few websites and seem to eligible for a Canadian Visa, based on my education, Primary Teacher for 3 years and age (young-ish).

Can anybody give me any advice, (hopefully positive....) willing to go anywhere within Canada, just want an adventure for myself and my young family.

Many thanks in advance.

James

3. tomcosgrove

tomcosgrove New commenter

I am from Canada and have moved here because it is very difficult to find a job in Canada. In terms of VISA's I have no idea how it works but I know it was fairly easy for me to get a UK working visa so I assume there is some reciprical program. I wouldn't move to Canada unless you had already secured a job, and it would be much nicer than working in a UK school, in my opinion. Check the website applytoeducation.com. It has a lot of school boards in Ontario and some others from around Canada.

4. Teaching in Canada would be great, and a lot nicer than a lot of UK schools recently, but it is very difficult to get a job there. You apply to school boards (like LEAs, kinda), and usually start out on some form of supply list, or permanent hiring list. It's not like the UK where you can apply for specific jobs in schools.

There is an extreme excess of teachers in most parts of Canada right now. If you were willing to go up to northern Canada and teach in a isolated community, you would probably have more luck. (When I say isolated, I mean ISOLATED!)

5. To be honest, there are NO teaching jobs in Ontario. I am Canadian and have been working 2 jobs and volunteering in a school. It is so unbelievably competitive for teaching jobs here its exhausting. Many people are on a waiting list to be on the waiting list for supply teaching. It's terrible. And many teachers aren't even able to secure a long term teaching position until years after they qualify.
    I do wish you the best of luck.

6. "Teaching in Canada" is thinking rather too generally. In Canada, education is the responsibility of the province, of which there are ten. To teach in any particular province, you would need to be certified by that province. This can be relatively automatic once you are certified in one province, of course, but even within Canada, teachers who qualify to teach in one province are not automatically certified to teach in another province and have to apply to be certified to the provincial certification body in question. The visa is definitely not enough. Do your homework, and by the way, make sure you have a Master's degree in education, because it's pretty much essential to even get a look-in in Canada. Failing that, be bilingual in French. That will open lots of doors.

7. this is really interesting, I've only just achieved my PTLLS and CTLLS from Warwick and have been looking to teach Btec Performing Arts, Puppetry and Shakespeare when learning that I had Canada Permanent Residence status (Legacy) I though about teaching in Canada but this doesn't seem very hopeful. Any suggestions appreciated, Marcus