1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in California

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zephrzephr, Jun 11, 2016.

1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Let's just hope they're not a maths teacher.

Well, I suppose if sitting in a ghetto watching Netflix is your thing then 68,000 might just stretch as long as you don't eat too much

2. Hi! I'd definitely like to reach out, as my partner is a US citizen (I'm from the UK) but we are not married, so it's proving hard to find out how to continue teaching in California, where we would live. Can you apply for a CA state teaching license at any time (i.e. before I have a sponsor)?

Thanks!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

m-frogley. The fact that you have a US citizen as a partner is not relevant to your application for a work visa. You would be considered as applying as an individual and in the same pool as every other individual with no consideration being given to your relationship. The US does not have "relationship" visas. The quickest and easiest route to a work visa is to marry an American citizen. You can enter on a fiance/fiancee visa, then get married and then get your permanent residency. Then you can find work. Good luck.

amariB likes this.
  5. officiallukeg

officiallukeg New commenter

Hi,

With reference to your CA teaching credential.

Yes, you can apply for that at anytime, whether you are in the UK or US before you have a sponsor. You will need to submit all the relevant educational credentials that you currently have, as well as your foreign transcript evaluation. Once you've done all this, they'll assess your documents and providing all is well, they'll issue you a preliminary teaching credential.