1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in California

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by zephrzephr, Jun 11, 2016.

  1. zephrzephr

    zephrzephr New commenter

    Hi all,
    I will be relocating to Los Angeles in January due to my partners job. I am hoping to continue teaching whilst in America and currently have an English Degree, PGCE, Masters in Education and 6 years teaching experience in the UK. As exciting as the prospect of moving to LA is, it also raises lots of questions for me so I'm hoping that someone reading this might be able to help me out with a few of them!
    • How easy is it to get teaching work in California? I wouldn't have the state qualification so assume I'd need to apply to a private or charter school?
    • How different is the American education system/curriculum to the UK?
    • Would a full time teaching role in the USA feel like returning to my NQT year again? I'd like to be able to enjoy my time abroad and travel around at weekends so am hoping that I wouldn't find the role any more demanding than I currently do.
    • Would a school be prepared to help with my visa?
    I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has experience of teaching in America/California or who can give advise re visas. Thank you!
  2. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    How can you go with your partner to America just cos he's got a job? Will you have the right to work in America? If you do then teachers-teachers.com has a lot of American school vacancies advertised. IF you don't have the right to work you can get a school on there or somewhere else to sponsor you for a J-1 visa. That's all I know so far. LA is expensive to rent. My American friend rents in Burbank and it costs him $1500 a month for a studio apartment. He looked at getting a 2 bed 2 bath for the same amount but couldn't find any so he stayed where he was.
  3. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  4. jomaimai

    jomaimai Established commenter

    Is that a teachers' agency?
  5. musikteech

    musikteech Occasional commenter

    I think it's just a job portal specially for teachers and American schools. You can apply directly to the schools once registered properly, which is free. Sometimes you just click submit and it sends your profile and CV directly to the school and other times it directs you to the state board's website to complete your application there. I haven't seen any agency involvement.
    jomaimai likes this.
  6. mikemcdonald25

    mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

    There are lots of posts on this forum about teaching in the US and I have posted on the difficulties of teaching in California. Did you do a search of the forum?
  7. zephrzephr

    zephrzephr New commenter

    Thanks so much for your help everyone. I'd registered with the teaching agency you've suggested and will also contact schools directly in the hope that I can get a job, along with sponsorship for the J1 visa. Will also have a look on the other California forum.
  8. cadenza_13

    cadenza_13 New commenter

    I am British and a teacher and currently teaching in California, I have work authorisation through marriage to USC. If you are married to your partner then you will be permitted to relocate together, but depending upon the visa catagory they are awarded you may or may not be permitted to work. If you are not married, then you will be visiting on the visa waiver program and limited to 90 days. In the event that you are permitted to work through your spouse visa, it is a time consuming process to get your credentials recognised but it is doable (quite expensive, approx $1000) - it took me approximately 6 months to get my credentials accepted by the California Comission on Teacher Credentialling http://www.ctc.ca.gov and awarded a preliminary credential, there is a list of 'stuff' to complete to clear that credential (also expensive). I requested district clearance before applying for positions and was offered a position almost immediately. I have not been treated as an NQT (though I was pay scaled as a beginning teacher) but that is because the 'California Standards' and the National Standards in my subject are reflected in the British NC and adjustment was reasonably smooth; I don't know if the same can be said for your subject - check here http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/
    In the event that you are not permitted to work through your spousal visa, it is highly unlikely that a school will pay $5000 to sponsor a visa for you when they can employ a citizen to do the same job. A private school might but a charter school or a school district will not. You can apply for positions, but do not be surprised if your applications are ignored by school districts because without district clearance a school can not consider your application.
  9. cadenza_13

    cadenza_13 New commenter

  10. jennifermd25

    jennifermd25 New commenter

    Hi! I have been a teacher in CA in the SF Bay area for the last 11 years. I work in inner city districts and coming here from another state and especially from another country you will most likely be put through some tests by the CTC. Check here for the requirements on getting your emergency or interim credential: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/

    Pay will probably seem low to you due to the cost of living in CA, LA has gotten a lot more expensive in recent years but it can be done! The weather and beauty of this place will make it worth your while but expect difficult behavior from parents and students much of the time. If you teach a high needs area like special education, science, or math you will have an easier time finding a job. Jobs for different districts are generally posted here: https://www.edjoin.org/
    Search Los Angeles and look for certificated jobs. There will be plenty listed.

    I love CA but I am leaving to teach in Denmark this year so am nervous about the change. Good luck in all of your endeavors!
  11. Hi cadenza_13,

    Is that how much it costs schools to sponsor / hire through the J1 visa? I'm trying to find out as much info as possible about my options as my partner has moved to the US already and I'm looking to join him after the academic year.

    Many thanks!

Share This Page