1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Cairo?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Donkey_23, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Donkey_23

Donkey_23 New commenter

I've just been offered a job in Cairo but the salary is a lot lower than here in the UK. I'd be making around £1400 tax free. Anyone have any information on cost of living etc etc in Cairo. Would this be a sufficient amount to live comfortably?

2. Donkey_23

Donkey_23 New commenter

I've just been offered a job in Cairo but the salary is a lot lower than here in the UK. I'd be making around £1400 tax free. Anyone have any information on cost of living etc etc in Cairo. Would this be a sufficient amount to live comfortably?

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Depends on your experience and if there's anything else in the package. If you don't have accommodation on top forget it, it's probably way too low depending on your experience and qualifications & subject?

4. Donkey_23

Donkey_23 New commenter

I have 5 years experience. They are offering me a 3000EGP housing allowance and free medical insurance too.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It will be one of the lesser schools, with the unknown future in that place you'd need to think about your current situation; how desperate are you? If there's a pressing need perhaps, but if you're confident you're a good teacher in a subject in demand (don't be surprisied that what you think may be in demand may not be on the international circuit) you might want to hold out for better offers.
    3000Egp won't go far in some areas (perhaps cupboard space in some areas) and medical means many things to many schools. BUPA? I doubt it based on the salary quoted, therefore some local nonsense or a promise to pay by the school, only you'll have to pay first and claim back.

6. PM me if you want further details. One or two of the schools here that offer that package are good schools. One of them has a good history.