1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Bulgaria or Romania

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kiwi_bel, Nov 6, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Having met the Director and chatted to many of their teachers, he is definitely part of why the school has experienced such a spurt of popularity amongst teachers. He has turned the school into a destination for international educators.

As for the nationality of the educators, it's true that there are some from all around the world, but the bulk are from North America. Give the name, there are far fewer Brits than you would expect.

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I would say that though of any decent school. This might be a shock to many people, but the UK is not the pinnacle of world education ( shhhhhh, dont say this to Brexisters, as they actually think the UK is significant in the world).

Variety of nationalities is the key to any decent school

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Ridiculously high fees are definitely not the key and in fact they have nothing whatsoever to do with it, dummells66.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Thats because you are looking at it through the eyes of a teacher and how much you earn. To the people who can afford to send their kids to these schools is it actually expensive to them? For example, i worked in a school in Asia with a massive Australian community. Most of these Australians were very basically educated, some of them were barely literate, but yet were earning in excess of $500 000 a year digging diamonds or copper out of the ground. As part of their contract they had either free schooling or part of it paid. Now is $30 000ish a year a lot for someone earning half a mil a year?
    Most of the families i have taught would be earning significantly more...millions, if not billions more. So no, these good schools are not expensive to them.

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

You a self hating Brit ? :p

You know that 48% of us are good people . .

In all seriousness, it owes a lot more to the second A than the first. Just something I thought I'd point out.