1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Bulgaria or Romania

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kiwi_bel, Nov 6, 2019.

1. yasf

yasf Established commenter

That happened when I left my job in the UK too. I saw a massive pile of CVs, and the school secretary glumly told me that most were from the likes of Chad from Kentucky who'd just graduated from college (no teaching qualification or experience) and fancied doing a bit of teaching in little old England for a few months on a gap year.

Apparently putting the TES job adverts online had helped with quantity but not quality.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When is a job application not a job application, yasf? Yes, I think that in a lot of international schools the cleaning ladies have to work overtime, emptying the waste paper bins in the principal's office because of all of the "applications".

yasf likes this.
  3. yasf

yasf Established commenter

I think that they just press 'delete' these days. :(

4. janavis467

janavis467 New commenter

I can't speak for Bulgaria but I worked for a while in Bucharest. It's a great city, I really liked living there, There's lots to do, plenty of green spaces, and there are lots of nice places to see in Romania as well.

The school was quite a nice place to work but the worst part for me was the distance of the school from the city. Most of the international/british schools are some way out of the centre. Traffic is a very heavy and the transport network, while pretty good in the city itself, stopped a long way short of the school. If you don't mind that, or don't mind living nearer to the school (as many staff choose to do) then it's worth a look. You won't get rich, but you can live comfortably. If you speak any Latin based languages, it would probably be easier to learn a bit of Romanian than Bulgarian, if that's a factor for you.

In the end, it was the miserable commute which wore me down, or I might still be there now.

motorhomer likes this.
  5. the hippo

N.B. If you do not have an EU passport, is it worth applying for a job in a European country like Bulgaria or Romania? Well, according to my present principal, it might be very difficult to get a job. Perhaps not impossible, but certainly the odds are against you. My apologies to any Australians, Kiwis, Americans and Canadians who have been following this thread.

spanboy likes this.
  6. maddyboo86

maddyboo86 New commenter

Hi I'm not sure how to PM but would be really interested to hear your thoughts on Bucharest, especially for families. My husband is the teacher.. We have a toddler. Thank you.

7. the hippo

maddyboo86, you need to click on your avatar at the top of the screen, on the right. Then a little menu appears and you can go to "Conversations".

8. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Is English widely spoken in Romania?

9. the hippo

Not once you get out of Bucharest.

10. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'd disagree hippo... most places you go, anyone under 45 will speak English to a reasonable level. Of course, it's a terribly ageing population, so people under 85 can be hard to find in the villages...
    Certainly anyone working in hotels, restaurants, coffee shops and often the supermarket will speak (often embarrassingly good) English.

11. the hippo

Well, lottee1000, it was a few years ago that Mr. and Mrs. Hippopotamus were in Romania. Perhaps you are right. Here in Bulgaria, yes, English is more widely-spoken that it was when we first came here, about 16 years ago. That is certainly the case in the big cities. In the countryside, it is another matter.

12. brendan1978

brendan1978 New commenter

Good afternoon,

I see you are very helpful with replies and I wondering if I could pick your brains. I have been given an interview in a school in Sofia that I am really keen on. I, like you, have lived in the Middle East. In fact, i am moving from Doha at the end of the year.

Do you have an insight on particular schools in Sofia? Would you have any recommendations in terms of where to live? Possible salaries that could be expected? The school teaches a blended curriculum from prep to seniors. Is this similar to Qatari History and Arabic/Islamic classes here?

13. the hippo

brendan1978, you have asked rather a lot of questions and maybe the best thing to do would be to give me a call on SKYPE. I have also sent you my e-mail address.

In a nutshell, the double A school in Sofia probably pays the best. The bad news is that they seem to prefer to employ Americans or those with American accreditation. Well, that is what I have heard on the grapevine.

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

"We actively recruit our teaching staff from all over the globe. Over half of our teaching staff are from beyond Bulgaria, hailing from 5 continents and 10 different countries".

directly from their website. I have been in the same school association as them and been there many times, and the North American thing is a bit of an urban myth. yes they do have them, but they will hire the best applicant for the job....they do however have on average 160 applications for each post.

i have personally met a wide range of nationalities working there.

15. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

This'll probably include Brits soon, then? ;)

16. the hippo

Lots of Bulgarians work in the UK, so my guess is that BG will not make any problems for Brits in BG. Well, not for the time being.

17. Ellen861

Ellen861 New commenter

I just applied for a job in Bulgaria. Any info about the schools/city/life would be appreciated. Shall be coming with my non-teaching husband and a teenage boy

18. the hippo

Hippo hippo hooray! Yes, I have sent you a TES Conversation thing, Ellen861.

19. Ellen861

Ellen861 New commenter

Hi Brendan1978,
    So I'm starting a new life in Sofia this August after all. Will you be going there too?

20. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

@Helen-Back Funny, I thought you were an ex Japan TEFL teacher. That's a funny transition lol. Mind you at this rate, I might have to do some of that again myself :(