1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Bulgaria or Romania

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kiwi_bel, Nov 6, 2019.

1. kiwi_bel

kiwi_bel New commenter

Hi, I'm new here and would love some advice. I have my heart set on teaching in Bulgaria or Romania, but I can't even get an interview at the schools I am interested in. I've been teaching for 13 years (6 internationally), and have inquiry, common core, and English National Curriculum experience. I have had many interviews and job offers in other parts of the world, but never the two countries I most want to teach in! Are the top schools highly competitive in these two countries? Does anyone have advice on what I could include on my CV or cover letter that might specifically appeal to principals in Bulgaria or Romania? Any advice gratefully received!

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The top on in Sofia on average gets over 160 applications for each post.....yes these jobs are competitive.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am currently teaching in Sofia, kiwi_bel, and I think that I might be able to help you. Please send me one of those TES Conversation things. You might also be interested in reading my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

And yes, I also taught in Bucharest for two years, so I might be able to help you with that one too.

4. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Can I send you a PM Hippo?

5. the hippo

Yes, of course you can, Helen-Back! And I promise not to try to sell you a house in Bulgaria (or mention my blog every five minutes).

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

"And I promise not to try to sell you a house in Bulgaria (or mention my blog every five minutes)"

Yeah, he says that now but just you wait!! :rolleyes: We all think he is working for the Bulgarian Govt.

7. kiwi_bel

kiwi_bel New commenter

Thank you! I have started a conversation and will read your blog. Much appreciated xx

8. the hippo

These completely slanderous and untrue allegations are deeply hurtful to a sensitive little hippo like myself, makhnovite.

Bill8899 and catbefriender like this.
  9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Send the PM at your peril. You will end up in a 3 hour high-pressure timeshare presentation.

I'm joking, he's actually very, very helpful

catbefriender and motorhomer like this.
  10. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

He really is! You can also pm me if you like, I'm currently in Bucharest.

Helen-Back likes this.
  11. the hippo

Yes, I did indeed write quite a long e-mail to kiwi_bel, with a few photos of some nice places in Bulgaria (not the grotty parts of Sofia). The bad news is that the double A school seems to prefer American teachers and they do not have many vacancies. Well, that is what my spies have told me.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Genuine question, why do so many people want to work in Sofia?

13. the hippo

I don't think it is that it is quite so popular. I mean, how many times have you seen threads about Dubai? Or Vietnam? Sofia is a little capital city and even a Bulgarophile like me has to admit that there are some grotty, shabby bits.

T0nyGT likes this.
  14. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I just thought with Dumbbell's claim on the 160 applications per post... That's a hell of a lot

15. dumbbells66

just read their website. it also tells you the make up of the staff, its definitely not only Americans as the hippo suggests.

it is a very good school, and well known and thought of in the CEESA association.

T0nyGT likes this.
  16. the hippo

Well, if it is a very good school, dummbells66, then that might explain why they don't usually have a lot of vacancies! Yes, I am sure that there are other nationalities on the staff of the double A school. My sources have told me that American teachers, or those with experience of the American curriculum, are the ones to be offered the jobs, more often than not. But hey, my information might be a bit out-of-date.

As for 160 applications for every post, I think that might be a bit of a myth. Yes, some teaching vacancies will definitely attract a lot of candidates, as the double A school does indeed pay significantly better than the others, but I cannot imagine any international school anywhere getting 160 applications for Physics or Chemistry or even for Mathematics!

17. dumbbells66

Really...last recruitment cycle we had well over 200 applications for maths teachers at my school...and according to some people on here is a terrible place to be. We also had just under 100 applications for physics teachers. Only 5 for the design post though. Good schools get lots of applications for everything.

18. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

I once worked in a nice school in a beautiful location which received around 20+ application for a physics post.

Only one was from a physicst with a teaching qualification. One was from someone whose experience was mainly in film-making and few of the others were any more relevant.

I wonder how many of the 200 maths applicants at dumbbell66's school were real maths teachers with the necessary qualifications and experience. I wouldn't mind betting that the first filter knocked a zero off that.

Yes, but you're always telling us how much you get paid and what a great work-life balance you get.

tb9605 likes this.
  19. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Interesting. I'm trying to transition to a STEM/maker/design/edtech integrator position. Gives me hope, although MYP/DP might be a stretch.

20. the hippo

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, Helen-Back.