1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Budapest

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by beejaamin, Oct 22, 2018.

1. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Hello all!

Does anyone have any information on expected salary / employment package in Budapest?

My understanding is that this part of the world doesn't pay well, but the cost of living is also low... Is this accurate? Could I expect a package with housing, schooling etc included?

I'd be looking to move with my large family (wife and 4 dependent children) and ideally living on just my salary to begin with.

Does this sound possible in this location?

Thank you in advance for your help... we're truly grateful for any advice!

2. BeckyK8

BeckyK8 New commenter

I used to live and work in Budapest and have just sent you a PM with a bit more information!

beejaamin likes this.
  3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

You wouldn’t get school places for 4 children in any school in Budapest. I believe that my school provides max 2 places per teacher. I can’t imagine the other schools would provide more. My school has an accommodation allowance and tax free salary.

beejaamin likes this.
  4. karel

You can send me a private message if you want to discuss a particular school

beejaamin likes this.
  5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Package is generally doable, but that’s for smaller families or dual income. If you want to survive on a single income, it’ll be really tight. Possibly impossible, depending on how much you have to pay for tuition.

beejaamin likes this.
  6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Why Budapest?

beejaamin likes this.
  7. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Thank you!

8. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Thank you for the information!

My wife is also a teacher, so at some point the option of us both working is realistic.

Am I right in thinking it's tax free for the first 2 years only?

9. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Thanks for your response and helpful information...

Why Budapest?.... Why not! It seems like a nice city to be in, seasonal weather, cheap living costs... And the advantage of REALLY cheap flight to and from the UK.

Is there somewhere else you'd suggest for people in our situation?

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am not so convinced about the cheapness of Budapest, beejaamin, but I would be very happy to be proved completely wrong, as per usual.

How about Sofia? And you could also read my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

beejaamin likes this.
  11. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

My partner is from Budapest and although I haven't lived there, I have been there many times. It is cheaper in some areas, but more expensive in others. I would say on average it would work out slightly cheaper than the UK but not by much.

Budapest, however, is a delightful city. Absolutely beautiful and plenty to see and do. Travel options are also good, and Lake Baloton is available for short vacations.

If you live there I would defintely buy a car in UK and take it with you (assuming that's allowed, I don't actually know) as there's no such thing as car finance in Hungary......

karel likes this.
  12. beejaamin

beejaamin New commenter

Thanks hippo! I have thought about Bulgaria, but (possibly wrongly) assumed it'd be a similar situation to Budapest?

From what I've read / been told getting a "family friendly" package is fairly unlikely in "the other" Europe. Do you think this would be more likely in Sofia then?

We would need to live off my salary alone for a couple of years at least, as we have young children. Our financial situation in the UK is pretty terrible, so our expectations in terms of "quality of life" are probably quite low compared to most people... as we simply don't have much of a life here in the UK.

Any advice you could offer on Sofia or anything similar would be greatly appreciated!

13. the hippo

Dear Beejamin, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation thingies. I hope that I can be of some help to you.

14. karel

Budapest has become more expensive in the past few years. This is our 5th year living here. It’s still much cheaper than the UK and other Western European countries though. Rent, insurances, utilities are all cheaper. If you avoid the tourist places in the city then eating out is cheaper. I don’t think there is a huge difference in groceries though, apart from vegetables and fruit when it’s in season. I believe it is possible to manage on one teaching salary, but the salary and benefits varies a lot between the schools here. Have you seen something in a particular thst you are interested in? Send me a PM if you want information on a specific school.

15. the hippo

Transport might be a key factor. When I was living in Shenzhen, I used the cheap, clean and efficient MTR system. When Mrs H and I were in Qatar, we needed to run two cars and that was a huge hole in the pocket.

16. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Of course, transport in Budapest itself is excellent. It’s the rest of the country which is a little lacking. The language is extremely difficult to learn as well.

That said, I do sound negative. If I could get a job there I’d go like a shot!

karel likes this.
  17. the hippo

Difficult to learn? Well, you should try Mandarin.

18. karel

Hungarian is one of the most difficult languages to learn. I know people who are fluent in 3 or 4 different languages but have major struggles making any progress with Hungarian. Public transport in Budapest is indeed very good.

19. the hippo

Major struggles, karel? At least Hungarian uses (more or less) the same alphabet as the English language. We have 26 letters, but in Mandarin there are about 40,000 separate characters, each pronounced in a different way and with their own separate meaning. So what is the good news? Chinese girls are pretty and the food is good. Oh yes, and the public transport system is excellent and good value, except at Chinese New Year (CNY) and then it is a disaster.

20. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Reading, writing and speaking are different skills. I learned to speak functional Mandarin in 3 months, because I needed to argue with taxi drivers. Chinese grammar is easy, comparative to European grammar- no past participles, subject-verb agreement, plurals.... Your average Chinese person cannot read and write 40,000 characters, and you only need 2,000 to read a newspaper. Actually lots of Chinese characters sound the same, and those that sound the same often look similar.

Please don't make comments about Chinese girls being pretty. It's demeaning.

Xtinelove likes this.