1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Bali

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ckasar, Mar 3, 2011.

1. There are quite a few International schools in Bali. Montessori, Stiener, international and local. Unfortunately I live too far away from any of them to send my son there on a daily basis. It would mean a car journey of 1.5 hours each way.....he will be 5 next week.
    I have considered the following options:
    1. start a school in the local area.
    Progress made: Found a teacher, sorted hardware, teacher cancelled due to personal problems. I am not sure how long it will be before I find another person that wants to live in Bali on the salary that I can afford!! At present not vary many other ex-pat families in the area as most people want to be near a school....

2. Carry on Home schooling
    He is doing ok at the moment, he can read and is doing ok at maths (1 x tables, 2 x, 5 x and 10 x) number pairs to 10, etc etc. I make sure he plays lots with other children. Disadvantages......he sometimes doesn't want to learn from me, completely understand this and don't push. Also, I have a job to do and a company to run - there are only so many hours in the day.......

3. Retrain as a teacher and open a small school.
    aaaarrrgh - more exams????? Help!!
    4. Give up the dream abroad, sell the company and move back to the UK....
    Not ideal. But a possibility if push comes to shove.

Any thoughts?

2. There are quite a few International schools in Bali. Montessori, Stiener, international and local. Unfortunately I live too far away from any of them to send my son there on a daily basis. It would mean a car journey of 1.5 hours each way.....he will be 5 next week.
    I have considered the following options:
    1. start a school in the local area.
    Progress made: Found a teacher, sorted hardware, teacher cancelled due to personal problems. I am not sure how long it will be before I find another person that wants to live in Bali on the salary that I can afford!! At present not vary many other ex-pat families in the area as most people want to be near a school....

2. Carry on Home schooling
    He is doing ok at the moment, he can read and is doing ok at maths (1 x tables, 2 x, 5 x and 10 x) number pairs to 10, etc etc. I make sure he plays lots with other children. Disadvantages......he sometimes doesn't want to learn from me, completely understand this and don't push. Also, I have a job to do and a company to run - there are only so many hours in the day.......

3. Retrain as a teacher and open a small school.
    aaaarrrgh - more exams????? Help!!
    4. Give up the dream abroad, sell the company and move back to the UK....
    Not ideal. But a possibility if push comes to shove.

Any thoughts?

3. Here are a couple of suggestions that you may have considered already:

1. Hire a tutor. There's a company specialized in placing tutors abroad for family such as yours and they have a good reputation from what I've heard.

2. Have you looked into boarding schools? This would mitigate the journey problems although obviously this might create another set of problems.

3. You say that a few expat families live nearby. How have they solved the problems for their kids?

4. Re: opening a school. If you find it hard as it is to balance your company with your son's educational needs, opening a school would only make things worse. However, if you are keen to pursue down this road, I was recently offered a position in Vietnam in a school that was opened by parents in your situation. Like you, they did not have access to a nearby school, so they started their own. If you want I could PM you their email address and they might give you some ideas on how to start.

4. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Hello there
    I have sent you a message to your inbox. We may be just what each other needs. I'm looking to stay on in Indonesia - I have 15 years experience in primary education and great references to back that up - when my contract expires this summer - I'm based in an International school in surabaya at present - as i have a local partner. I know Bali reasonably well so get in touch ASAP.
    hgf