1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Austrialia - Can I?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by kyrie969, Aug 16, 2011.

1. I qualified in September 2010 as a seconday science teacher. Since then I have been a supply teacher at schools in my local area. I still need to complete my NQT year but had great difficulty trying to get a job. I am looking at moving to Austrialia at some point but basically just enquiring about what experience I would need. In other words will I need to complete my NQT year in England/have a few years teaching experience first? I would be grateful with any infomation that can be provided. Thanks :)

2. I qualified in September 2010 as a seconday science teacher. Since then I have been a supply teacher at schools in my local area. I still need to complete my NQT year but had great difficulty trying to get a job. I am looking at moving to Austrialia at some point but basically just enquiring about what experience I would need. In other words will I need to complete my NQT year in England/have a few years teaching experience first? I would be grateful with any infomation that can be provided. Thanks :)

3. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Yes, you do need experience as well as NQT status, at least for government schools. Private schools, of which there many, are not bound by the same rules, but most do anyway. You have to register separately in each state or territory.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

How much experience? I've done a year in secondary and a year in Uni. Will I struggle getting work? (NSW is where we'll be going if we decide to go for it) x

5. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Australia is fairly selective and becoming increasingly expensive as well. On a lighter note I assume that "Austrialia" was a typo and you do not wish to move to the Republik of Austria-lia where of course we have lots of mountains but no kangaroos...

6. We emigrate early next year and I have just finished all that can be done here, so just waiting until we get out there now and I finish off my first aid training and stuff, however we are going to SA, so can only talk with certainty about that state.
    You don't need your Induction/NQT year, it doesn't really seem to count for anything overseas in the way of being a shiny certificate and meaning anything - it only counts as experience in terms of the time you have spent in school. At no point has anyone been interested in my Induction certificate (not during SS, Visa or registering with SA teaching board), they only are interested in my degree, PGCE and the fact I'm registered with the GTC, along with proof of employment (this is more the type of visa I am on, and because I want to get paid the right amount in line with my experience when I get there though).
    Depending on what you want to do you will either need 12 months in the last 24 months (if you want to go for good and be able to get a long term/contract job) (which if you have worked 20 weeks in term time EACH week will be fine for what you have already done), or you would be fine with whatever you have if you just want to go on a WHV (but you will find you probably will be restricted to supply only work on that, due to the employers rather than the restrictions on it).
    Secondary Science seems to be in demand in all States from people I have spoken to, although perm contracts seem to be less automatic than they are here, so something to bear in mind depending on (again) what circumstances you are going over on.
    They are changing the visa system next year (again) to an Expression of Interest system (EoI), similar to what NZ has now, and to be honest, there will probably will lots more changes at any given point, as just in the time we have been applying etc there have been lots of changes one way or another.
    Secondary teachers are eligble at the moment for a Permanent residency visa, or a State Sponsored PR visa, but only a couple of states are sponsoring Secondary Teachers at the moment (this changes all the time though) - the main difference in real life terms is the SS PR (176) visa is going through in about 2-3 months end to end at the moment, depending on the sponsoring state, the 'normal' PR visa (175) is going through in about 12-18 months.
    Good luck and enjoy :)

7. Hi,
    I am just in the process of applying for a 176 visa for SA, I have completed stage 1 (skills assessment) and am just preparing for stage 2. If you can give me any advice, links etc. I would be grateful. How long did your visa take to come through? I am teaching abroad at the moment but I am from the UK and UK trained going into my 6th year of teaching. Many thanks good luck with the move. xx

8. I think SS is taking about 3 weeks to come back at the moment, the visa is taking 2-3 weeks to get a CO currently (you can check here on timings - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.htm - I think they are due to update the date again on Monday) and then as soon as you have uploaded your meds and police check it should come back positive (as long as they are clear obviously), so if you already have the police check (ACRO) done, you just wait the 10ish days for the meds (as long as you can get an appointment - some places have about a 4 week waiting list at the moment) and Bob's your uncle - there may be a bit of a longer check etc due to you being overseas, depending on where you are (overseas police checks maybe?), sorry I don't have experience of that so not really sure, but everything is moving super quick for 176 applications at the moment (due to less applications since the 1st July changes and priority given to 176s).
    The only advice I can give really is just read what they want you to provide and give it to them, its all pretty straightforward, as long as your case is. If you've got a dependant with a criminal record, or child with med issues for eg its harder, but for most people it's pretty easy imho.
    Good luck and enjoy :)

9. Hi, Many thanks for that. We are using a migration company to handle it all for us so I am just providing them with what they ask for when they ask. I am due to do my IELTS test in the next month (as soon as I can get registered on one here) and the police checks and medicals we were told not to do until they ask for them so have held off. We are in the middle east but my son is young with no med problems and my husband also has no med problems, neither of us have convictions that we know of! Hope to be out there in the next year then :) Have you found a job yet? There were 2 schools advertising this week which look quite nice but did not look too hard as until I have my visa I don't want to get my hopes up. Good luck, let me know how it goes. X

10. Hi, firstly, I teach in Melbourne and its bloody brilliant. I work in a nice private school and its just a great atmosphere. I have taught in Melbourne state school and despised it, worse than anything in UK I had experience, but then I did lead a sheltered life in a decent Secondary School.

Get your NQT year done and then it is completed. Then pick up work for the remainder of the following academic year. Although I have been teaching for 6 years now and our situations are different, I would recommend getting in touch with some schools across in the area of Australia you would like to teach. As the school year starts in January, you could get out here in December time and start in the January. I would recommend, in your position, seeing if a private school would consider sponsoring you, I know my current place sponsors teachers who need a visa. If you contact HR in an Oz school though when a job appears they are really good at giving some details as to the viability of your application. Don't be deterred by one who says they wouldn't consider you as all the privates are different in how they do HR.

As a note, the application process for a job is also different. No common practice of lesson observations, in Victoria they have the Selection Criteria in state schools, in which you have to give an explanation of how you meet about five criteria. Have your CV up to date and also cover letters should be about no more than 1 and a half pages, keep it short and sweet.

Ultimately, it will be how you sell your experience and if a school will be willing to take you on if you only have an NQT year behind you. Maybe commit to a three year plan, if financially possible, or you could move immediately and do CRT (emergency teaching) work in schools if you wanted. Use an agency for that, or contact the private schools directly, once you have a good relationship with a school they will be more likely to take you on.

Hope that is useful and makes sense. It is only my perspective, but happy to give whatever advice I can.
    Olly

11. Hi there, just been reading through the threads, wondered if i could pick your head as im sure your aware - it feels like a mine field when you first start looking at moving!
    If i give you some details maybe you or others reading this could offer something:
    My partner and I are both teaching 6 yrs experience.
    she is a HOF and I am SLT
    we both teach in london

should I apply directly to the schools for a sponsorship or should I go through the gov website and complete the forms myself then look for a job? Ive looked at the score criteria and we seem to pass. how much money overall will the new system cost ? should I go for 2 seperate applications or a joint one? We are looking at teaching in oz from next xmas, so are looking to start early.

any help is appreciated
    regards
    g