1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Stephanie-morris, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with teaching in Australia. I am looking at making the move from the UK after teacher Physical education and sport qualifications to post 16 for 4 years. I will be making the move by myself. So what is the work life balance like, and what is to be expected. I am also really worried about my qualification as I hold a UK degree, PGCE without qts as I teacher further education. I also have a postgrad quail in sport.

Thanks in advance

Steph

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

3. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

This has been discussed at length.... Search the entire TES thread titled 'Teaching in NZ or Aus'. For a PE teacher, to be bluntly honest with you.... Unless you are Andy Murray, you still won't get a teaching job. He will however get a coaching job at one of the private school. It doesn't matter what your qualifications are, there are 15 - 20 other people already affiliated with the school now.... By the time you arrive and actually qualify to teach, maybe 30....

So in essence the work life balance is amazing --- because you won't have a job.

4. travellingteacher21

travellingteacher21 New commenter

PE teaching would be the hardest job to find on Australia's teaching scene. Also in my years of teachign, I would say Australia has to be the worst in terms of work life balance. Teaching is highly politicised at present and is used as a baton by various political parties. WIth that comes rapid change very quickly. And most of the time it ends up with teachers being painted as lazy and not doing good enough job. Thats just my two cents.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I don't think post-16 teaching is on the skills list so there's no chance you can get a visa I'm afraid.

6. taiyah

taiyah New commenter

Australia, in nearly all of the states and territories are saturated by PHE teachers. No matter what your qualifications are no school would ever sponsor a PHE/PE/PDHPE teacher nor will a school trust a newby or untested teacher with their curriculum to teach their years 11-12 (AS/A Level) candidates.

It is a nice dream. But Australia, Canada, NZ and the US don't fall in the same 'international' school category.

7. Hi there! Unfortunately you can't teach in Australian primary or secondary schools with that kind of PGCE as the official sills assessor for education in Australia (the AITSL) don't consider the Post 16 to be equivalent to the Australian Graduate Diploma of Education.

You could look into teaching in further education institutes (called TAFES) but the question is what kind of visa would you be eligible for? The skilled visa (189 skilled migrant) needs the correct PGCE so not sure you'd be eligible.

You should look at talking to a migration agent about your visa options and start researching TAFE vacancies to see what qualifications/experience TAFE institutes are looking for.

T0nyGT likes this.