1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 11, 2017.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What's it like teaching in Australia? What made you join the profession? Is the job everything you hoped it would be? If so, why? If not, why not?

2. lrigb4

lrigb4 New commenter

Teaching in Australia has its ups and downs. One positive I have found is the move to nationalise the curriculum for years 1-10 with ACARA. This means that all students in the nation are learning the same skills and cross curriculum priorities. It is good that C2C provides resources to guide teachers to teach suggested units, but that teachers and schools are still free to develop their own units so long as they meet the objectives outlined by ACARA.

Some negatives: Because each state has its own senior curriculum, there is not a consistent ranking scheme for students to get into university (QLD has OP, NSW has HSC etc.) Also if you want to be registered to teach in multiple states you have to pay more money. You'd think with us moving to a national curriculum for years 1-10 it would make sense to nationalise some of these other organisations too.

3. keiradoltan12

keiradoltan12 New commenter

its good to be a teacher whether you are in australia or wherever.

4. Hi Irigb4! I am doing research on Australian maths curriculum and you seem to have a lot of insider information. Do you mind letting me know what are the most popular books/other resources used for teaching maths in Australia's K-12?