1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by munchies11, Apr 15, 2012.

1. munchies11

munchies11 New commenter

I have recently started to think about moving to Australia and teaching there. My husband holds an Australian passport so obtaining the right to live there should not pose a problem. He is convinced that it will offer a better life for our young son. Does anyone have any advice of where to start for looking for a job or recent experience of teaching there, as many searches on the internet seem to be offering out of date advice?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. OK here is a brief 'heads-up' for you: Firstly you'll need your teaching credentials verifying and accepting. Immigration can advise you of that. Secondly, Australia is big so you'll need to decide where you wish to go. Larger population bases will clearly offer more teaching opportunities. That said and if you are up for it, you might consider going bush although you will need to research that possibility well. You may also wish to consider teaching in either a public or private school and also whether you wish to teach in a faith-based school too.

Ad additional but important factors is the cost of housing as it can be very expensive expensive. EG a unit in Darwin can cost you A$ 500K but you can buy a house in Hobart for that.

Start with the state government of the place you wish to go and take it from there.

Hope that helps PM me if you wish