1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bazzaritchie, Sep 14, 2011.

1. hi foks just wondering if anyone can give me simple steps to getting registered to work in Australia, to cut a long story short, my girlfriend has just been offered a nursing job in Sydney(concord to be precise) and will be sponsored on a 4 year visa for which I am eligible to jump on the back of. I am a P.E teacher with 3 and a half years experience in both secondary and primary schools. I know that i have to register with NSW authority, but has anyone done this recently and possibly give me precise steps of what needs done? getting qualifications assessed etc.

Cheers

2. hi foks just wondering if anyone can give me simple steps to getting registered to work in Australia, to cut a long story short, my girlfriend has just been offered a nursing job in Sydney(concord to be precise) and will be sponsored on a 4 year visa for which I am eligible to jump on the back of. I am a P.E teacher with 3 and a half years experience in both secondary and primary schools. I know that i have to register with NSW authority, but has anyone done this recently and possibly give me precise steps of what needs done? getting qualifications assessed etc.

Cheers

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have but I'm not up to that point yet. You can't register until you have your visa and a date you'll be in the country from (ours is next month) and they want originals of items for the Aussie CRB eqivilent... (sorry if this add'salot of rubbish but pasted from word)

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";}

Documents for 100 points identification must be Justice of the
    Peace (JP) verified
    The following lists set out the value of each document according to the
    100 point check.

70 points

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;">[*] <ul style="margin-top:0cm;">[*] <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Birth Certificate<li class="MsoNormal">Birth Card issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and
    Marriages<li class="MsoNormal">Citizenship Certificate<li class="MsoNormal">Current Australian Passport<li class="MsoNormal">Expired Australian Passport which has not been cancelled and was
    current within the preceding 2 years<li class="MsoNormal">Current passport from another country or diplomatic documents[/LIST][/LIST][/LIST]

40 points

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;">[*] <ul style="margin-top:0cm;">[*] <ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Current driver photo licence issued in Australian state or
    territory<li class="MsoNormal">Identification card issued by a public employee <li class="MsoNormal">Identification card issued by the Australian or any state
    government as evidence of a person entitlement to a financial benefit <li class="MsoNormal">Identification card issued to a student at a tertiary education
    institution.[/LIST][/LIST][/LIST]

35 points

Name and address of preferred applicant verified from
    any of the following (more than one document can be counted):

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Document held by a cash dealer giving security over property<li class="MsoNormal">A mortgage or other instrument of security held by a financial body<li class="MsoNormal">Council rates notice<li class="MsoNormal">Document from current employer or previous employer within the last
    two years <li class="MsoNormal">Land Titles Office record<li class="MsoNormal">Document from the Credit Reference Association of Australia[/LIST]

25 points

Name of preferred applicant verified from any of the
    following (more than one document can be counted):

<ul style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal">Current credit card or account card from a bank, building society
    or credit union<li class="MsoNormal">Current telephone, water, gas or electricity bill<li class="MsoNormal">Foreign driver&rsquo;s licence<li class="MsoNormal">Medicare Card<li class="MsoNormal">Electoral roll compiled by the Australian Electoral Commission<li class="MsoNormal">Lease/rent agreement<li class="MsoNormal">Current rent receipts from a licensed real estate agent<li class="MsoNormal">Records by a primary, secondary, or tertiary educational
    institution attended by the applicant within the last 10 years<li class="MsoNormal">Records of a professional or trade association of which the
    applicant is a member [/LIST]

4. But I take it I should get my qualifications assessed before this time?my girlfriend has been told she will get her visa(which i will be on) around feb/march time, so i guess my next steps are to get my qualifications assessed and then just wait for the visa to come through?

5. littlemissraw

When you apply to register with them they will need your qualifications. It doesn't seem you can do this until you have a visa and a flight booked (I'm going on a working holiday visa).
    https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/teach-aussie However this is the link you'll need if you already have a permenant visa sorted
    https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/about-us/careers-centre/school-careers/teaching/our-programs-and-initiatives/overseas-trained-teachers/approval-process

6. littlemissraw