1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by KnittyWench, Apr 10, 2011.

1. I thought you had to have a skill, trade or profession which was required before being able to get a work permit. My mother's hairdresser and family emigrated recently because they were short of hairdressers, can't remember what her husband did, but his qualities were not the ones which got them in.

2. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

I looked quite seriously at this maybe 2-3 years ago, so the advice may not be that relevant. I found it extremely difficult to find a position available in the area that I was interested in, that being NSW Northern beaches. I joined a couple of agencies and they told me that if I was willing to work in the outback in under privellage areas then they could almost guarantee a post at some point, however I wanted to based in and around Sydney. The skill rating for teaching staff had also diminished at the time and I was no longer an essential commodity. Also you need to be aware that you would be going in at base level, I am a HOD and had to think quite hard about that one. Its also quite common to get your visa turned down atleast once before being accepted, quite expensive. Good luck with your decision either way, hope this serves as some help?